Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

wine barrels...

Nu-GuyNu-Guy Posts: 136
edited 10:04AM in EggHead Forum
Wondered if anyone has tried the wood chips/chunks that comes from old wine barrels? [p]Nu-Guy

Comments

• Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,457
    Nu-Guy,
    I haven't, but Tim just gave me some chips made from JD whiskey barrels. When you put your nose in the bag, the smell of whiskey is prevelant. I expect the wine barrels would be great. Are they oak?? Try them out and let us know!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
  • Nu-Guy,[p]I can't speak for the wine barrel chips, but I have used the tabasco chips and they impart a nice flavor. I've also found that they also help to give the fire a small kick in the arse when you need to boost the temp a bit![p]Try the Tabasco chips with some chicken wings, you'll like it.[p]
    TT[p]89 and a wake up!

• Nu-GuyNu-Guy Posts: 136
    Nature Boy,
    I haven't ordered them, but they did sound interesting. I let you know when I do. That hen we spoke about earlier is finished. I'm just waiting for the Mrs. to get home. I did insert the probe like you said and seemed to get a more accurate reading. Oh, the wife just drove in.....time for the bird to leave its egg :) Let you know how it taste.[p]NG

• Nu-Guy,
    They work well. I have used chips from old wine barrels and I liked it lightly with chicken, and more heavily with beef. If barrels are oak I'd expect it to be a little harsh with fish. Grapevines also work well for light smoking, but when you put them on they tenatively increase the heat. Have fun try anything thats how ya learn.[p]Try It It Might Work

Thanks Tim, I have to give that a try.[p]NG
    Grillin Bill,
    Sounds good to me. I wonder how those LiLac bushes might smoke :)[p]NG

• Elder WardElder Ward Posts: 330
    Nu-Guy,[p]I would advise agaisnt it. No amount a merinade will soften them up and it is hard to chew without getting splinters in your gums. [p]Say what,[p]Elder Ward

Elder Ward,
    I thought maybe if I soaked them in mineral spirits it might take some of the toughness out.[p]

• sprintersprinter Posts: 1,188
    Nu-Guy,[p]I don't want to be aroundwhen those chips get thrown on the fire. And I would seriously recommend THROWING them on, say from about 15 feet away.[p]Troy
  • djm5x9djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Nature Boy:[p]Jack Daniels chips are the best. Butt or ribs smoked with these chips just can not be beat. The last time I was at BGE I bought a case of them. You are going to enjoy them.

• Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,457
    djm5x9,
    Cool! Gotta have Tim come visit more often. The bearer of fine gifts. I look forward to trying them out. Might have to pull that butt out of the freezer soon.[p]Thanks
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
  • MaryMary Posts: 190
    Elder Ward,
    LOL!!! Welcome back.[p]Mary

sprinter,
    Ya, but think of the unique flavor!

• Elder WardElder Ward Posts: 330
    Mary,[p]My pleasure, not sure which Mary this is but OK. %^)[p]Elder Ward