Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Wish to have crust on Sear

KyleKyle Posts: 156
edited 10:49PM in EggHead Forum
I just got my new BGE and tried my first run last night. (1" T-Bones)
I followed a suggestion of 700 degrees and 2 1/2 minute sear on each side and 3 minute cook without the second turn.[p]The T-Bones were great quality and turned out near very good, but I like a bit of crust on the surface of steaks.[p]I am wondering if the fact of retaining juices by the BGE will make achieving a crust on searing difficult.[p]

Comments

• TRexTRex Posts: 2,714
    Kyle,[p]If you want significant crust, you might want to try putting a coat of mustard on the steaks (don't worry, they won't taste like mustard), and/or searing them in a cast iron skillet that you have brought up to temp with the Egg. The best crust I ever got on a steak was using a cast iron pan sitting on the cooking grid which was sitting on the top of the firebox (firering removed).[p]Good luck and welcome![p]Check out this method of cooking steaks:
    [ul][li]The day I got bored and wrote a lot about cooking steak[/ul]
  • KennyGKennyG Posts: 949
    steakdin.jpg
    <p />Kyle,[p]I concur on the desired "crust". Don't be afraid to push your Egg a little harder and sear at 800° and maybe a little longer than 2.5 minutes per side. I've done steaks well in excess of 1000°[p]I'd also suggest 1.25 to 1.50" thickness to ensure that the hotter sear doesn't overcook the inside beyond your preference.[p]Just experiment and enjoy. The fun is just beginning![p]K~G

• KyleKyle Posts: 156
    TRex,
    Thank you for your help. I will try your suggestions with my next steak run.[p]I appreciate the link too.[p]Kyle

• KyleKyle Posts: 156
    KennyG,[p]I truly appreciate your help. The picture is beautiful and certainly displays what I am referring to.[p]I will follow your suggestions for sure.[p]Kyle

• SpinSpin Posts: 1,375
    Kyle,[p]If you didn't want to go the mustard route, drying the meat with paper towels just prior to cooking helps promote a better crust.[p]Congrats on the new egg.[p]Spin
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,417
    Spin,
    So nice to see you again. We missed you all at the fest.
    Any chance for Atlanta?[p]Hope you, Sue, and all the Spins are well.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
  • SpinSpin Posts: 1,375
    Nature Boy,[p]We hated to miss the Eggfest, but are looking forward to attending Eggtoberfest.[p]Spin
  • CornfedCornfed Posts: 1,324
    Nature Boy,[p]Are you planning on Atlanta? I'm thinking about it, but need one or two more excuses to get it firmly into my plans.[p]Heeeeeeeeeeeeeee,
    Cornfed
    [/b]
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,417
    Cornfed,
    It is written in on my calendar with INK PEN! As opposed to punsil.
    Heee!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
  • Hello KennyG and all,[p]Excuse me for my ingnorance but I have only ever grilled steaks in the open. When searing at these high temp is it with the dome up or down?[p]Cheers,
    KindaIgnorant

• KennyGKennyG Posts: 949
    KindaIgnorant,[p]With few exceptions, most high temp cooking is done with the dome closed. The chimney effect this provides is part of the reason these high temperatures can be achieved.[p]K~G