Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

temp mystery

Options
Inksmyth
Inksmyth Posts: 308
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok guys. Whats up with this? I have learned here that the grid temp is approx 20 degs lower then dome temp. Just started a cook on my xl using my new maverick remote. Both maverick and dome have been calibrated. I'm getting readings with the grid temp 5 degs lower then dome. This has been consistant through out the cook.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Direct or indirect?
  • Inksmyth
    Options
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Your probe could be in a 'heat stream' or more likely is that the probe is too close proximity to the food and away from the outer sides of the grid.

My best readings with the Maverick pit probe are about 1.5 to 2 inches away from the meat.

I use the maverick & dome as a guide. Done is when the Thermopen reads the food. :)

GG
  • Inksmyth
    Options
    Being this was a test cook, I took readings without food, with food, and at several locations on the grid. All with the same results.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Sometimes when using my DigiQ2 and the Maverick ET-73 I will get different readings in the meat and on the pit probes.

I try to have the meat probes within 1/2 inch of each other, horizontally and vertically. Pit probes I try to have within the same range if not clipped to one another. I picked up an alligator clip from Walmart and put it on the pit probe of the Maverick.

The readings sometimes are 20° from each other. I though either the q2 or the ET-73 was off. Last week I tested both and they were within 2° of each other and boiling point.

The difference in the meat readings I have thought was the placement in the meat.

I never did understand the difference in the pit probes.

I don't get overly concerned about cooking temperature. 20° or so isn't all that big a deal, for the meat I use the thermopen.

GG