Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping Charleston Dave

Options
Fossil Frank
Fossil Frank Posts: 285
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just saw your post showing a bag of pecan wood chips. I just came back from Florida and I looked at a lot of places on my way down and back but couldn't find any. Could you tell me where I might locate some? I like the city of Charleston SC and go through there often so if you can give me names of places that carry pecan I'd sure be grateful. I won't be able to respond right away so thanks in advance.
Frank from Indiana

Comments

• Charleston Dave
    Options
    Frank, to the best of my recollection I bought that bag not in Charleston but at the Mothership during Eggtoberfest 2008. Bag info says "Western Pecan BBQ Smoking Chips" from W W Wood, P.O. Box 398, Pleasanton TX 78064, (830) 569-2501. Their website is http://www.woodinc.com but oddly enough I do not find these pecan chips listed. Their current packaging also looks different from my bag, so perhaps Western did some editing of their line. My bag's bar code is 78342 78076, 180 cubic inch bag (that's 12.5 cups).

All things considered, I think I would prefer lump over these chips, as the chips don't last long. I tried googling "pecan smoking wood" and found a number of suppliers, including some on eBay, so that might be a better source for you. For example, Monty's out of Ottawa KS sells 10 pounds of John Henry pecanwood chunks for $14.95. Somebody on Craigslist in Dallas is offering a full cord of mesquite or pecan for $150. Northwoods Smoke out of MN sells 8 lbs of pecan chunk for $12.

The pecan has a mild, sweet, nutty smoke flavor and gives a pronounced mahogany color to poultry skin. If you prefer a stronger smoke flavor then you might want to include other smoking wood along with the pecan.

Not that I'm trying to talk you out of a visit to Charleston. :)