Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weight Watchers and winter has been

Options
TomM24
TomM24 Posts: 1,366
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
cutting down on our Egging. My wife hit her target weight a couple months ago but she still plans the meals every day. She gets 22 points a day and 35 bonus points to use through out the week. With two day left she has 31 of the bonus points left so this morning she says we can have somethin special tonight. He first thought was meatloaf. I know she won't want to do that on the Egg. Most of the normal indulgences that get posted here won't catch her fancy since she not a big fan of smoke. I'm thinking my best shot at some Eggin is BBQ chicken which is a favorite and something we haven't had since she started. Anyone have any other ideas? The good news is after weeks of having no effect on my weight I have lost 10 pounds 5-10 more would be good. I haven't been counting my points.

Comments

• Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Options
    Count your points. If you follow the program it works.
    I lost 150 lbs a few years ago- just WW and exercise.

Walt
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Eggin and weight watchers can go together, just grill with it. Grilled shrimp, grilled chicken, grilled steak, grilled romaine hearts....(I am starting to sound like Forrest Benac)
  • Lab Rat
    Lab Rat Posts: 147
    Options
    Don't count out meatloaf on the egg!

I've made it several times and we have always enjoyed it. There have been several recipes posted, but if you have a favorite, go for it!

Unlike many who have posted, I cook mine free form, "fattie-style" on a raised grid at approximately 400 degrees on a raised grid.

I always have used mesquite for smoke, but if your wife doesnt care for it, you can leave it out.

John
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    I concur with your thoughts. Years ago on an offset cooker, I did a meatloaf in a pan so we could have the drippings for gravy. :pinch: Yuck. Now with the egg I go indirect, drip pan, and let the lump burn 30 to 40 minutes for a clean burn. No wood chips or chunks. No one has said any thing about it being smoky. Could be we’ve had the BGE since May and 95% of what we eat is cooked on it.
    meatloaf005.jpg
    meatloaf006.jpg
    Just going for some positive reinforcement...oh and leftovers for sandwichs.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Lab Rat
    Lab Rat Posts: 147
    Options
    What I also meant to say (rather than repeating "raised grid" twice) was that I cook direct.

After about 30 minutes, I roll the loaf over so the bottom doesn't burn. At that time I'll add the ketchup and layer with precooked bacon.
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    Cooking Light has a couple of good meat loaf recipes (we like the Italian one) that work well on the Egg (we use ground bison or grass fed beef in ours). You can search on myrecipes.com, try both "meatloaf" and "meat loaf" as your search term.

Also, Ina Garten's (Barefoot Contessa) turkey meat loaf gets great reviews, too. That should be on foodnetwork.com

Just do them indirect, platesetter legs up then grate on top of that. The CL recipe has you free-form the loaf and cook it on a broiler pan so the fat drips through. Cleanup is MUCH easier if you wrap the catch-pan part of the broiler pan in foil.

For a splurge, I highly recommend Pioneer Woman's mashed potatoes on the side (they are made with cream cheese) or for something a little lighter, the Crash Hot Potatoes on her site.
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • Bluecrab3
    Options
    I'm on WW now, so the first thing that came to mind was shiskabob. The veggies will be zero points and she can do set points on chicken. Probably would not marinate the bird due to extra points, but some good JH or DP rub will make up for that. Little evoo and rub on the veggies and it's go time! Best to your wife. I've lost 10 pounds in a month and could not be happier.
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    The idea was to burn some of the bonus points so it's Not Your Momma's Meatloaf,It,a our favorite. Eggtucky has posted it once or twice.It's going to be cooked on the oven so I'll miss the Egg goodness