Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket /questions/Help!!

Options
AlwaysGolf
AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to attempt a brisket(flat) for a coworker. I was wonering should I inject it first or just rub. Was going to do pork roast and place the brisket under the butt.

From what I have read, should I foil at the 165 point with some beef broth or just let it ride.

Any other comments or suggestions are welcom.

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Options
    You can inject it if you want. You will need to be sure the needle and syringe are big enough. I usually just rub them down and put them on the egg. I have done butt/brisket combos and the brisket end up on the bottom rack. It will stay moist from the butt drippings.
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    Never could really tell the difference when injected vs. rubs... really hard to inject the meat because it is so tough.. I like to pull at 180-190 vs 165, seems to be leaner without as much fat left in the meat...like the idea of the butt on top to keep the brisket moist...let us know how it turns out
    Kent Madison MS
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    On my old ECB I would do butts on top and brisket on the bottom, for the same reasons the other dudes said, drippins.
    As for the rub/injection. I just like to do rubs. I really like a simple salt and pepper rub, but the wife doesn't. So I throw an all purpose pork rub on it and it turns out good.
  • MilitantSquatter
    Options
    If you want to keep the injection simple.. try a basic mix of low sodium beef broth, a few shakes of dry rub, some worsthershire sauce and some chopped garlic or garlic powder. Mix and let it sit for a few hours in the fridge before injecting. Inject every few inches with the direction of the grain.

If you decide to foil.. check around 165-170 when the bark looks just right.. You don't have to add broth here but if you want to add a nice flavor, consider pouring about 6 oz. of a really flavorful beef marinade for the last 20-30 degrees. Remove when you can probe it freely without much resistance in the thicker part of the flat. Don't get caught in trying to remove at a set temp. let rest for a while before slicing.

Good Luck !