Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calzone & Pizza ala Alexa

Options
MilitantSquatter
MilitantSquatter Posts: 98
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Needed to get outside on Sunday to cook on the BGE and asked my 5 yr old daughter Alexa to cook with me. To make it fun for her we decided on Pizza and Calzones and let her do most of the prep work.

First for the calzone, I grilled up some balsamic vinegar marinaded chicken cutlets on the egg...After it was done, I set up the egg w platesetter & pizza stone etc to get it ready for the baking. While that was going, we got going indoors.. Alexa made the calls on how much or how little of each ingredient and placed them on the dough.

Pizza was basic... (leftover homemade sauce, fesh basil, mozzarella cheese, olive oil)

Calzone was diced balsamic vinegar grilled chicken, baby spinach, ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, olive oil.

She loaded all the ingredients and ended up being a a bit short on the amount of sauce for the pizza and cheese for the calsone it was a bit dry but the crust came out the best yet..

Very tasty though !!

100_1377.jpg

100_1380.jpg

100_1381.jpg

100_1382.jpg

100_1384.jpg

100_1385.jpg
100_1390.jpg

Comments

• EGC
    EGC Posts: 448
    Options
    Looks like a fun evening with the family.
  • Ashman
    Ashman Posts: 375
    Options
    Food looks good, and it looks like you had great assistance in the kitchen. Just curious, did you turn the calzone over during the cook, and how long/temp?

Thanks, as you can tell, I was thinking of doing a calzone.

Gordon
  • MilitantSquatter
    Options
    Thanks..

We had a lot of fun together..

Calzones are a favorite.. just like pizza, so many options...

I did not turn the calzone over... I did remove the parchment paper toward the end..The bottom side had a really nice crust and the top side was a bit softer. I guess I could/should have turned it over for a minute or two to get that side browner but didn't think about it..

Always next time.. right ??