Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shoulder vs. Butt

Options
omba
omba Posts: 241
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Folks,

Whenever I've made PP, I always used the butt.
What do you do with a pork SHOULDER roast?
Pardon my ignorance,
Peter

Comments

• crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I think the butt is just the other half of the shoulder...

I would imagine you could use either for PP..always use the Butt here though
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The pork shoulder has 2 parts, the butt an the picnic. The picnic is a little leaner, and has a bigger bone in it. The picnic yields a little less meat, but is a tiny bit tastier, IMHO. Some times I find pieces of butt being sold as pork shoulder roasts.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    the shoulder is half butt, half picnic. for the money i like the picnic, a little darker meat but more flavorful, not as clean a pull as a butt.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Pete,

For a long time we've been cooking shoulders bone in. Wife, kids and grand kids all claim it has more flavor. So, who am I to question? Lots of dark and light meat. Last cook I did 2 9.5 pound shoulders and after feeding the starving family put 4 - 12oz Foodsaver bags in the 'fridge and about a dozen 4 ounce bags.

4oz is just right for a 'good' sandwich for lunch.

Found out that finally owning a little kitchen scale is worth it. If you do get one get the Oxo it's about $50 and has some pretty neat features.

Oh yeah, the handshake, let's see what did I file that under . . . ? ;)
  • Tractor
    Tractor Posts: 288
    Options
    Just to make sure...you know the butt is not the 'butt' right?
  • omba
    omba Posts: 241
    Options
    Sundown,

So ...
    Are you cooking it as you would for PP (195-ish), or are you cooking as you would a loin (145-ish), or neither?
    And as for the handshake ... don't forget to bring it to Ocala! :laugh:

Later,
    Peter
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    I cooked one (7 pounds)two weeks ago right beside a 9 pound butt. They finished at the exact same time :huh: I cooked it the same. Mighty fine. Happy Egging
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :blush::blush::blush: thought it was