Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking report and thanks

Options
bbullett
bbullett Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had my big feed yesterday for my sister-in-law's college graduation. I posted a few weeks back and got some great ideas. Here's what when down...[p]I got 4 big shoulders, totalling 36 lbs, and a center cut loin for another 6 lbs, on Monday. In eyeballing the shoulders, I decided that 3 could not lie flat, so thats why I got the loin (for its shape). All of this went into the brine on Wednesday night.[p]Friday night, they were rubbed down with Dizzy Coarse until that ran out, then the rest were rubbed with Dizzy regular. Egg was loaded up with lump and Mapped on. Then came the monumental task of getting all this meat on. I put 2 shoulders and the loin on with maybe enough room left for a hot dog or a tater tot. I brought out the grill extender for its inaugeral use, but the legs were too short !! I still had a pile of meat so the only thing I could figure out was resting the grill extender directly on the meat, then piling the other 2 shoulders on. Let me tell you something... That was about as full as an egg can get !! [p]My pre calculations said I should have bought a little more meat, but thankfully I did not as it would have been quite a sight with another shoulder. I cooked at 200 degrees from 9 pm Friday nite until 2 pm on Saturday. Then I bumped it up to 250 and it was ready to go at about 4 pm. I would have liked to take it off sooner and foil it but that would have been too much work with all that meat. As it turned out, it didnt need that step. It was so tender and juicy that it practically pulled itself. Took about 45 minutes to pull and prepare it all. The Bear Claws are the best thing going for that work.[p]Had about 70 people and they all raved about the fine swine. It lasted for quite a while, but could have used another 5-10 lbs as I had no leftovers !! I think this may have been one of the best meals ever to roll off my humble egg. I very much appreciate all the wisdom and guidance you folks so eagerly dole out. It makes me look like a real cook !!

Comments