Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pheasant on the BGE?

Options
Banker John
Banker John Posts: 583
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Help please...[p]I was given 2 pheasants and am curious how to cook them on the BGE. I have a medium.[p]I have had smoked pheasant in a gourmet deli that was fantastic. I would like to make this, but am hesitant to waste a good bird onj a "try this" recipe.[p]THanks in advance... Banker John

Comments

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Banker John,[p]I don't have a recipe because I have never cooked them, but I would use a brine to try to keep 'em moist. Perhaps some bacon under the skin on the breast for a little basting. I do know they are easily overcooked and it seems to me you don't want to go over 140º in the thigh if you grill 'em. Are these wild, pen raised/released, or commercial packaged? The reason I ask is wild game that is hunted I would much more conservative on the internal temps for the finished product(closer inline with chicken temps). [p]Let us know how it turns out and what you do. Good Luck!
    Ashley

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Banker John,
    I've cooked hunted ones that have been skinned. Brining is essential. I use a standard solution with various spices for 8 hours. Then put on whatever rub you fancy and cook them indirect at 350 until breast is 160.