Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Spatchcocking a Big Bird

Charleston DaveCharleston Dave Posts: 571
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Nope, this is not the Wes Craven-directed remake of Sesame Street. :evil: ;) :evil:

I saw a Perdue 7-lb roaster and wondered how this approaching-a-turkey-size bird would work spatchcocked on my LBGE.
IMG_6292.jpg

Spatchcocked with some difficulty; my poultry shears had nearly met their match. Rubbed with EVOO, then Montreal Chicken rub and a sprinkle of dried mixed Italian seasoning.
IMG_6295.jpg

Cooked at 350º raised, indirect, until breast internal at 165ºF, over Royal Oak with a cup of pecan chips. I tried protecting the exposed drumstick ends with foil.
IMG_6298.jpg

A bird this size seems more like chomping on turkey legs at the County Fair. The cutting board is 12x17 and the bird barely fit for carving. Pecan doesn't give a lot of flavor but the skin sure is pretty:
IMG_6300.jpg

On the plate:
IMG_6302.jpg

Cook time was about 90 minutes, but it probably could have used another 15. I'm not used to paying $10 for a chicken, but this one will provide 5-6 servings.

Comments

• FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    Spatchcock a turkey sometime. You'll surprise yourself at how good it turns out.

I really like the color yours turned out. Looks very good.
  • Jupiter JimJupiter Jim Posts: 1,610
    Dave,
    That bird looks great and the foil looks good too :silly: .
    I did two the other day for the first time and I should have let them go a little longer also. KayNOcook dosen't like chicken on the bone :evil: and I have stayed away from a spatchcoked bird, But they were very moist and tasty and can ya belive Kay now likes chicken on the bone. :woohoo:
    Jim
    I'm only hungry when I'm awake!
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,218
    nice looking bird, what seasoning is that....looks really yummy. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com
    ACGP, Inc.
  • I have always placed baggies with crushed ice on turkey breasts while I let it come to room temp prior to going on the LBGE. That helps the breasts from overcooking when trying to get the thighs/legs to 170*.

I have never tried that with chickens, but I'll bet it would work the same way, especially with a BIG chicken!
  • Thanks for your interest, Tom.

IMG_6304.jpg

The smoking wood was "Western" brand "Pecan BBQ Smoking Chips." To the best of my memory, I bought the bag at the mother ship during Eggtoberfest. Not a strong smoke flavor, but it makes poultry skin a beautiful color, doesn't it? I used about a cup.

After the EVOO, there were two seasonings on the skin.

The first was McCormick Grill Mates Montreal Chicken seasoning. It includes garlic, salt, onion, black pepper, parsley, red pepper, orange peel, paprika and green bell peppers. Montreal Steak is better known and similar but does not include the parsley, orange peel, or green bell pepper.

The second was McCormick Italian Seasoning, which is a mix of dried marjoram, thyme, rosemary, savory, sage, oregano and basil. I use it a lot and consider it a pantry staple.

Both are at Costco, or check http://www.mccormick.com/ for further info. I'd characterize the combo as highly flavorful without being extremely hot.
  • Good idea, Clark! As the chicken size increases, it makes sense that turkey techniques come into play more. I pulled at 165ºF breast and another 5º wouldn't have hurt. It was very moist and flavorful but I think the meat texture could have been softer and released from the bone a bit easier.

Another pound and I might have to consult Mad Max! :)