Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Au Jus for Prime Rib

Options
Charcoal Mike
Charcoal Mike Posts: 223
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all -[p]Anyone have a tried and true method for Au Jus ? I understand it is basically just the drippings, mixed with red wine or beef broth, then simmered until quantity is halved.[p]Can I do the same thing in my drip pan? I'll be cooking indirect - so can I just add the beef broth to the pan, let the rib drip in with the broth, then when all is finished put it on the stove for a bit?[p]Thanks![p]- Mike

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    actually, if you're doing a prime rib, and it has seared/sealed properly early in your cook, then your drippings are nothing more than pure fat runoff, not juices from the meat. .. i'm not sure i'd use that as my basis for au jus. . [p]what your really need is beef broth. . .i would probably take a large can(s) of beef broth (unless you make your own stock from something like neck bones or ox tails or other bones w/meat). .. and use that as your starting base. . .then add in some garlic, red wine, cook down, etc. . [p]i've made stocks before, and i take all day to do it, setting up a big stock pot (ergo the name) full of water, than slow cook meats (again, neck bones, tail bones, etc. that have meat attached to them)/vegies herb bocquets, salt, pepper etc. until i have a nice broth . .. then use that as a base for au jus or gravies, etc. . . [p]now having said all that, i'm sure someone will post an actual recipe (i do mine strictly by feel/taste). ..[p]good luck[p]max

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    Charcoal Mike, [p]In the drip pan, add chopped onions, chopped garlic, sliced mushrooms, a couple bay leaves, herbs (like a combo italian herb) and your favorite seasonings. Use a combo of apple juice, red wine or Marsala wine, and water....do NOT allow to boil dry. I use a long necked wine bottle to refill the drip pan.[p]Bones are the basis for a broth/sauce, cooked with the drip pan goodies. Use some leftover beef or steak bones, add water, seasonings, herbs, mushrooms, red wine, and a couple bay leaves. Simmer this mixture a little while before pulling the meat off the grill. When the meat is finished, take the drip pan goodies (which now have a nice smokey flavor) and add them to the juice simmering on the stove. Cook it a bit, adjust flavor, and you could add a little butter to finish it off. Strain and serve.[p]I save leftover bones to make juices or stocks. Bag em up and save them. Any recipe that calls for water (like beans or rice) I take a bag of bones, jazz em up, and boil it for 20 minutes to an hour and use the broth in place of the water....It adds flavor to anything you are making, it's EZ.[p]Mike in MN
  • Unknown
    Options
    Charcoal Mike, There are always short cuts. I have used these products for years. It doesn't get any better than this.

[ul][li]everything found in a good restaurant[/ul]
  • Charcoal Mike
    Charcoal Mike Posts: 223
    Options
    Hey guys,[p]Thanks for all the Replies![p]- Mike