Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 recipes from Eggfest 2003: Korean ribs, baked apples

Options
Brett
Brett Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was asked by several people to post my recipes for Calbi Ribs and Turkish stuffed apples, served at Eggfest 2003. Here they are, with special thanks to QBabe who suggested the gran marnier finish for the apples. [p]Calbi Ribs [p]5 lbs Korean Style beef ribs (these are cut across the ribs, so you end up with pieces that are a quarter to a third inch thick, with medallions of bone from about 3 adjoining ribs and the tender meat underneath. You need to get them at a Korean grocery)[p]Marinade:
1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup sesame oil
1/2 cup ground, toasted sesame seeds
1/2 cup green onions, cut lengthwise
scant 1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup crushed garlic
1 1/2 t of black pepper[p]Mix the marinade. put ribs and marinade in gallon plastic bag and squeeze around for a minute to work marinade into the meat. refrigerate overnight. Grill over hot fire, 5-8 minutes total.[p]
Turkish Baked Apples
(my own recipe with an assist from QBABE)[p]medium sized apples (I used Gala and they worked pretty well)[p]stuffing:
equal parts medjool dates (seeded), apricots, and hazel nuts, chopped in a food processor. Add enough brown sugar to bind it all together.[p]Dig out a good size well in each of the apples and put in the stuffing. Place in a baking dish and put a pat of butter on top of each apple. Fill dish with 3/4 inch of water. Bake at around 350 for an hour or more, until the sides of the apples are sift enough. Add a splash of gran marnier to each apple the last 15 minutes of cooking (it really brings the dish together). [p]Brett

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    That was some great beef, Brett. In these parts, they are called beef flanken ribs and most grocery stores carry them. I cook them all the time with a simple olive oil/Montreal Steak Seasoning coating. This cut of meat is one of the quickest to cook and tastiest you will find around, as those of you at the 'fest discovered! Thanks for the recipe![p]Jim
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    Brett,[p]Thanks for posting the recipe. That was one of our favorites at the fest. My wife has already found a Korean market to buy the meat. SHE has it on the menu for Mothers day. I'll have to try that apple recipe too, I missed them. It was a pleasure to meet you and thanks again for the recipe.[p]Chuck[p]