Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My poor Egg

Options
egghead2004
egghead2004 Posts: 430
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's been nearly 5 years and probably close to 1000 fires in the Large egg. The poor thing needs some new parts, but for me, the money isn't flowing like it used to.
My firebox is now in 7 oddly shaped pieces.
The fire ring is in 2 pieces
Need a 4th cast iron grate
Dome thermometer is shot.
Springs are weak.

Anyway, my real need is the firebox. I was hoping to find someone who may have found a temporary way to "fix" the firebox to get me through til the summer?
Is there a furnace cement or an epoxy that would hold it together for a few more fires without emitting toxic fumes into my food?

I know I sound cheap, but now isn't the time to whip out the credit card.

Thanks

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Repair those ceramic pieces with JBWeld found at local hardware stores.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    ]"My firebox is now in 7 oddly shaped pieces.
    The fire ring is in 2 pieces
    Need a 4th cast iron grate
    Dome thermometer is shot.
    Springs are weak."

Darn... that's exactly what my doctor said about me during my last physical LOL

At least you still have an Egg.

Spring "Gotta Get A Smaller Wallet" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    I don't know about the springs, but the firebox is covered by the lifetime warranty if you are the original owner.
  • egghead2004
    Options
    Lifetime on the firebox? Hmm, i think me has to call the mothership and ask about this. I am the original owner and my firebox cracked in three pieces after 8 or 9 months and that's how it has been until this winter. It's just falling apart almost everytime I clean the base.

Thanks for the insight!
  • egghead2004
    Options
    Egret,

If the lifetime warranty Semolina Pilchard speaks of isn't going to cover the firebox, then I'll get the JB weld. So, once cured, it doesn't emit anything harmful when heated?

Thanks
  • egghead2004
    Options
    I like your signature, it reminds me of what my grandfather always says..."paycheck getting smaller, wallet getting thinner"

I used to laugh at it, but it isn't so funny anymore.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    ive gotten replacement springs, call bge. they made these different over the years so maybe a picture and a measurement may help them send up the right ones. check to see if the egg is actually level though, if it leans forward even just a little the springs seem week, level it out and it might fix the problem
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    P.S. If your dealer has to order it special you will need to pay shipping. If he has as extra in stock, or, if you can wait and let him get it sent with his next order of eggs it won't cost you anything. At least that is my understanding.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    I had mine in 5 pieces for years, never had a problem. My fire ring is still in two pieces. Unless the fire box wont stand on its own no need to fix it.
  • egghead2004
    Options
    All was cool when it was in 3 pieces, but now as soon as I put a load lump in it, the weight of the lump pushes the pieces apart and sometimes the grate falls.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Did you buy through a local dealer? That's where you need to start. The dealer will cover the warrenty of the fire box. I went through the mothership once and they hornered the warrenty with me paying the shipping. You can avoid shipping by going through your dealer. Good luck to you. Tom
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Everything you listed but the springs, bands and thermometer is cover.

All the ceramics (which includes the CI fire grate) are covered.

Before anyone says the fire grate isn't. I asked BGE it is...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    they will mail you the springs if you ask nicely, might not be under warrantee but its those little things that makes bge better. i recieved a spring band in the mail once to replace my mexican band no charge as well, might have been something to do with the stick i used that held the dome open, had a picture of food and wasnt even mentioning the band problem.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    I agree with others that so long as you can JBWeld it together, or if it will stand, still cracked, it works just fine. But, over time, these pieces will continue to deteriorate.

Thus --

Get your FREE replacement parts ordered from your dealer as soon as possible, because your dealer could take months to get them replaced [if he's a small dealer].

A large, well-stocked dealer can probably pull the pieces from inventory.

Dealer first -- Mothership second, after you've exhausted prospects with the dealer. Give the dealer reasonable time. Remember, he, in turn, has to deal with a distributor -- and therein can be a hang-up!

Good luck!

Get those parts ordered, Amigo!

~ Broc