Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Cooking time?...help?

Options
Jail egger
Jail egger Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am doing a 12lb brisket, my first brisket on the egg. How long will it need to be on the grill,
I would not hesistate to use some foil to speed it up a bit.

Comments

• omba
    omba Posts: 241
    Options
    FWIW ...
    In my brisket experience:
    1 - You have to wait.
    2 - Rushed brisket is like no brisket at all.
    3 - It always takes longer than I thought to reach that 195 or so.
    4 - Hungry? Make burgers.

Wish I could help more, but someone else will.
    Peter
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    Depends on how hot you are cooking it.

Low and slow woudl probably be 12-14 hours. You can wrap around 160 in foil.

You can also google search for kickass bbq and they have a hot and fast method that takes about 5-6 hours that is really not too bad.

Your choice.
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    Generally, it will take around 16 hours plus or minus an hour at 250 dome temp. I usually pull mine when internal temps hit 185. Check your dome therm calibration before you cook. Brisket is not a fast cook and if not done correctly will be a waste of time.
  • batt
    batt Posts: 40
    Options
    I always allow 1.5 hours per pound. It might not take that long or maybe a little longer. Every piece of meat is different. I cooked a 14lb brisket Saturday and it took 16 hours at 250 grate temps. Use time as a guide and internal temp to know when to pull. I usually pull at 195 meat temp. If using the BGE temp gauge, I would go with 225-250.
  • Seidegger
    Options
    Depends on the meat, I did my first brisket (14.5#) on my LBGE for the superbowl and it turned out great (I bearly knew what I was doing). It took about 20 hours at 225-260 dome temp. I put it on Saturday night at 9pm and it was ready by 6pm at halftime after an hour of foil resting in a hot cooler. I would think usually it is 1-1.5hrs a pound. I had a thick whole brisket and it still fell short of 1.5lb/hr.
  • Gandy Dancer
    Options
    Here is a LINK that may help.