Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork butt temp

Harleydog77
Harleydog77 Posts: 217
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi,
I just put my pork butt on the egg. I am trying to stablilize my temp right now. I am at about 250 dome right now but my et-73 only reads like 165 grate. Do I go by dome or grate temp, and what do I want to be at?

Comments

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Relax the temp will drop as you just put a large pice of meat on and it will take a little time for the temp to get back to what you had before. If it is still droping after 30 min then adjust the vents.
    Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    go by dome and don't mess with the vents. When you add the meat the temp will drop but come back on it's own. If you change your settings you could be chasing temps the whole cook. Trust the Egg ;)
  • Right now it is 250 dome and 214 grate, and it has been pretty steady. Is this what I am looking for?
  • FlaPoolman
    yes and the longer into the cook the closer the two readings will be
  • Thanks for the info. This forum is awesome, and it is because of all of the awesome people on here.
  • The recipe that I saw said cook time Apx 18 hours. Will the coals last that long or will you need to add coal somewhere along the line? I have just finished my table today and wanted to jump off into the deep end next weekend with a Boston Butt.
  • FlaPoolman
    with a large loaded to 1" below the top of the fire "ring" mine will go well over 24 hours at 250 dome. It might vary with the type of lump but this is with RO.
  • If you fill it all the way to the top of the fire ring with Wicked Good Weekend Warrior it will go for 30 + hours. More than enough time to cook anything you want.

BGE lump will probably go 24-26 hours. Cowboy will go faster but still might be enough to finish it.
  • Wow I am impressed. I used to have to add at least once for a large but. Whwer do you find the Wicked Good Weekend Warrior? Sounds like something from LL Bean
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Go by the dome temp and remember what I said earlier.Cook for at least ten hours before even peeking.Placement of a probe at the grate can be deceptive because you can move it three or four inches and have a thirty degree difference.Most cases the grate temperature will be about twenty five degrees lower than the dome.So at 250 you are fine.Do not open the dome.I am still up watching my shoulder and having a cold one right now and I suggest that you do the same.Enjoy your efforts tomorrow.