Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flank Steak

Options
J Appledog
J Appledog Posts: 1,046
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had some delicious flank steak & I've had some really awful flank steak. An unattached friend of ours has decided (which is what she does) that we are cooking flank steak on Sunday. She e-mailed a marinade recipe to me but I'm not impressed. Does anyone have a really excellent way to do flank steaks on the BGE?[p]Thanks in advance, & everyone going to Waldorf have a great time! Julie

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    J Appledog,
    first, i don't think there is a 'bad' vs. a 'good' flank steak. . .its a crappy cut of meat to start with, so its all in how you cook (and slice) it. . ..see my message to wise one and bocci just below yours for one method (my rolled flank steak). .. [p]my other favorite method is to marinade a whole flank steak in olive oil, balsamic vinagar, herbs de provence, tobasco to taste, and then a rather healthy splash of booze (i have used bourbon, vodka, tecquilla, just about anything). . .diffent booze will leave a slightly different flavor. . .now, when i used to do this on the weber, i would let a lot of flame occur to make sure the liquid burned off. . . first time i tried it on the egg, i started real hot (600 degrees), then shut it down and let it dwell a little while. ..the flavor was great, but the texture was very mushy = too much moisture. . .. i think that the next time i do it, i'll just leave it on high heat for a few minutes per side, so that its medium on the inside and a little crusty on the outside. . .[p]for slicing a whole flank steak, besides the obvious of cutting across the grain, i have always prefered slicing at a severe angle for thin, wide slices, as opposed to a direct cut perpendicular to the surface. . .[p]hope this helps a little. ..[p]max

• bigmikej
    bigmikej Posts: 216
    Options
    J Appledog,
    Here is my tried and true recipe:
    Marinade:
    1 c olive oil
    1/2 c soy sauce
    1/3 c red wine vinegar
    Juice of 1 lemon
    2 tbs dijon
    3 tbs worcestershire
    4 minced garlic cloves
    lots of black pepper[p]This ususally marinates 2 flank steaks (costco) for 12-24 hours.[p]Then I ususally take them out of the marinade, dry them off and apply some cow lick rub.[p]Cook at 600-750 for a few min per side (2-4 depending on how you like it. I find that rare and med rare provide for more tender meat. Slice crosswise at an agle after a 15 min rest.[p]Enjoy!

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    J Appledog,[p]Good morning Mrs. Dog. Sure wish you could have made the Fest this year. I've looked forward to meeting the maker of disappearing mustard. Gotta get a new order in soon....
  • WudEyeDoo
    WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
    Options
    J Appledog,
    Our family loves this recipe for flank steak. I make two separate batch's of the marinade. One for the flank steak, and one for the finished product. When the steak is grilled, we serve over rice and use the heated 2nd batch of marinade to drizzle over the steak/rice. This dish is bursting with flavor. It's worth a try.[p]By the way, I usually marinade the meat for about 4 hours. That is plenty since it's already sliced. I've never tried the grilled pineapple recipe that is listed below it.

[ul][li]Korean Flank Steak[/ul]