Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Check out my new cart!!!!!!!

Harleydog77Harleydog77 Posts: 217
edited 9:59PM in EggHead Forum
Hi,
I have had my egg for about a week now. I am really liking it a lot. I knew that I needed a cart, and the carts at my BGE dealer were kind of...less than what I wanted. I came across the plans on thenakedwhiz.com and made a few minor upgrades. Let me know what you think of my new set up. Now I can't wait to do an overnight cook. I'm thinking pork butt.

-Yates

Tile to put hot cookware on
DSCF0919.jpg
1 1/4" thick granite to set the egg on. That should handle any heat the egg gives off.
DSCF0918.jpg
Here are a couple of views of the cart. I used red oak with linseed oil to protect it. The oil really brings out the natural beauty of the wood.
DSCF0917.jpg
DSCF0916.jpg

Comments

• FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,671
    Nice looking table but I would still use the feet between the egg and the granite
  • Any particular reason?
  • very nice.
    you left handed?
    you should get a shiny new wooden handle for that thing
    and a bottle opener
  • vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    The bottom of the BGE gets extremely hot and placing the feet between your BGE & the granite will provide airflow and keep the granite from cracking. Trust us when we say you need the feet...
    The air gap keeps the heat from transferring to the wood. This was under my 2" paver before I started using the feet.

101_2117.jpg

101_2118.jpg
  • vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    Beautiful table by the way.....you will really enjoy it.
  • Thanks for the info. I guess that is why this forum is so awesome. Feet it is.
  • No I am right handed, but fairly ambidextrous (Throw darts righty, shoot pool lefty). I thought for quite a while on egg orientation, and this way is going to work best for me.
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 20,211
    if yo dont like the looks of the feet, 3 quarters will work just as well. you need a bottle opener on that table
  • Good Job Harleydog!

Ross
  • Harleydog77,

Nice job. It looks like you could just knotch the crossers to compensate for the little bit of height the feet would add?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• sweet. looks great
  • I know that I need a bottle opener for the table. I am still searching for the one that I want to put on it. If anyone has any cool old bottle openers they would like to get rid of let me know. Otherwise I'll continue scouring eBay.
  • I'll put the feet under it before I use it tonight, and see if it is too high. I don't think that it will be. My only concern would be the fact that the egg fits in the circle I cut so nicely. I hope that doesn't get affected at all. I really would like to leave as is for now.
  • That's what I meant.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Also this sealer is great for preserving the wood.

101_2286.jpg

before

101_2119.jpg

after

101_2161.jpg

101_2168.jpg
  • Not to mention cutting the cross members would present a little challenge in and of itself. It would be pretty tough to get in there with a saw. The bracing is pretty close together.
  • JLOCKHART29JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Great job on the cart and I love the granit insert you did! Looks like you screwed everything. As others have said get a little air flow under there and shoul last a long time.
    you made a wise decision, when i got my egg 7 or maybe 8 years ago the next purchase was the bottle opener. i still havent gotten around to the table
    08852c14.jpg
  • reelgemreelgem Posts: 4,256
    Beautiful job Yates!!!
  • RRPRRP Posts: 19,736
    I see you re-sealed that can with a 20 pound sledge hammer...
    L, M, S, Mini
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    I did 6 coats and the can kept getting smaller and smaller :whistle: :blush:
  • DarnocDarnoc Posts: 2,661
    Can I have just one more?
    Good clean lines and well done.As suggested use the feet or any other kind of spacer.
  • RRP,

Naw, he stood on it when he was doing the top of the table. Couldn't reach otherwise.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

careful with the short jokes shorty :laugh:

101_2476.jpg
  • CecilCecil Posts: 771
    Beautiful, you will love it.

Walt
    i looked and they are still on ebay, 3 different styles, enter 4 eye bottle opener. i need to get one for the camp.
  • Harleydog77 wrote:
    I'll put the feet under it before I use it tonight, and see if it is too high. I don't think that it will be. My only concern would be the fact that the egg fits in the circle I cut so nicely. I hope that doesn't get affected at all. I really would like to leave as is for now.

Spend some time on the Naked Whiz site and you will see that there is a reason for the feet. He has an article there about feet and heat. The Mods here don't like it if you post the reasons you need the feet. Conjecture and such. In any case, nice table.

Needs a bottle opener.
    Thanks for the info.That opener will save me a lot of money because when I go out to the Egg and take a look I'll think that I have had a few beers already.