Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Center cut brisket flat

Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My local store only has center cut brisket flats, $3.49#, no fat cap. I know I can do it under a butt or cover with bacon, does the bacon add flavor as well and if so, does it take away from the brisket flavor???[p]Thanks,[p]New Bob (getting older)ÜÜÜ

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    New Bob,[p]That's a pretty expensive brisket. Especially if you have to put something else with it to cook it. Local Walmart sells whole briskets for $1.18 and flats for $2.29. If they are jacking up the price because of the words "center cut", IMHO it ain't worth it.[p]Jim
  • Bordello
    JSlot,
    I know what you mean about the price but there is only myself and I'm small so a little meat goes pretty far. I can get the flat as small as 2 3/4#'s. They are pretty uniform in that they cut the thin end off and the thick end, then they trim "all" the fat off. I was more worried about using the bacon and ending up with a bacon flavored brisket. (I use honey bacon so maybe that would not be bad.[p]Thanks,
    New Bob

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    New Bob,
    What you have is really not very appropriate for BBQing. I'd braise it and try another day with a whole peice of meat. Those cut ends will dry out quick and the bacon can't substitute for the attached beef fat.[p]BBQ is a process that requires fat to render and baste the meat over a long period of time while the meat breaks down and develops a bark that is sort of like a slow cooked roux. What you have doesn't seem to fit the process I just described. I don't think a 2-3/4 lb flat will work very well either. Invite some frienfds over and cook a real brisket.
    [/b]
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Bordello
    drbbq,
    Great advice and I apprecitate it.[p]Thanks much,
    New Bob

• New Bob,I wouldn't buy because of no fat cap. IMHO that is the reason for the success of the brisket.[p]
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    By me, brisket is $7 / lb.  Where can I find it at a good price?
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    JSlot said:

New Bob,[p]That's a pretty expensive brisket. Especially if you have to put something else with it to cook it. Local Walmart sells whole briskets for $1.18 and flats for $2.29. If they are jacking up the price because of the words "center cut", IMHO it ain't worth it.[p]Jim

$4.99 minimum /lb Seattle.
    Seattle, WA
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    edited March 2013
    @Z_Eggineer Not sure how deep you had to dig for this thread but it's nearly 10 years old. Now days anything below 4.50 per pound for a flat is pretty good.  Whole packers anywhere under 3 bucks per pound is pretty good.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    mebbe Vanilla could put cobweb icons on the thread in the search results - more webs the older it is.

I was searching for brisket threads, doing first one this weekend.  Sam's is selling for $2.39 /lb supposedly.  I asked if it was a whole packer, and the person kept saying "Yes for the whole package".  Not sure what they meant, but they didn't have the best English.

I realized it was old.  But even with lets say 3% inflation / year shouldn't be more than $5 / lb.  I guess beef prices have risen faster.

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Beef has gone up about 200% in the last 18 months. Regular priced 80/20 hamburger is about 5 bucks a pound. 2 years ago you could get 3 pounds of hamburger for 5 bucks.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season.