Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon Filets

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have 2 salmon filets about 1" thick. How long does anyone recommend cooking per side at 375 degrees. They each weigh about a half pound. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    rock,
    Not long at all. 375 is plenty hot. My guess is two to three minutes per side would cover them. Depends how done you want it. Salmon can be cooked like a steak....raw to gaggy dry. A little pink in the middle won't hurt you, as long as the meat is fresh and properly handled.[p]When I cook Salmon, it is an eyeball/feel thing. You look at the color of the outside, and after the first flip, start feeling the firmness of the meat. As it cooks, it gets firmer and firmer....When it is hard, it's too late.[p]I like to throw it on the grill, and let it go for a minute, and then with the spatula pick it up and give it a half turn. This accomplishes 2 things...first and foremost, it keeps the Salmon from sticking to the hot grill, and secondly it gives the Salmon a nice X grill mark.[p]Just before the Salmon is finished, I like to spritz a little fresh lime juice on 'em.[p]Good luck![p]Mike in MN

• Mike in MN
    Options
    Rock,[p]As as a followup, I prefer to buy the Salmon fillets. I cut the skin off, and then remove the brown colored fat from the pink meat. This brown fat gives the meat a "fishy" taste. I cut the fillet into 4"-6" chunks, wash and pat them dry with paper towels.[p]Season and cook, or marinate for a short time.[p]It helps to get a little oil on the grill. I use a half of onion that has olive oil on it to wipe the grill prior to throwing the Salmon on. I marinate the seasoned onion on a flat plate, sitting in olive oil. (marinate about 15 minutes) The onion absorbs the oil, and then you use the onion to wipe the grill.[p]Mike in MN
  • Mike in MN,
    Thanks for the input. I read a recipe on here that called for 10 to 12 minutes per side and I thought that was a little excessive to say the least.

• Mike in MN
    Options
    rock,
    At 375 there wouldn't be anything left.[p];>[p]Mike in MN

• Mike in MN,
    Would you cook lower temp than 375 and for how long?

• Mike in MN
    Options
    rock,
    The 375 is fine. A bit higher wouldn't hurt. Preheat and stabilize would be the term. Salmon cooks so fast, it's not an exacting science. [p]I just eyeball it. When Mr. Egg gets warmed and ready (the lump is evenly glowing, no hot spots, dome is warm/hot to the touch) You want the Salmon to sizzle a bit when it hits the grill. I guess even a higher temp would be OK, things just happen quicker. Use a sweet/fruity wood for smoke...Alder, Pecan, Apple, Cherry...[p]I find myself regulating the flame level more than the temp when I cook something like this. Manage the flames. I look down through the daisey wheel and open and close it to manage the amount of flame we are producing...too much, stop 'er down a bit, no flame...open 'er up and wait for positive results. Bottom vent wide open. [p]Mike in MN

• Aussie_Hugh
    Options
    The salmon sounds great. One thing though with these short cooks that I am often unsure of. Are they done with the dome up or down? Any suggestions?[p]Regards,
    Hugh

• Mike in MN
    Options
    Aussie_Hugh,[p]Down. Also preheat the Egg so there is some radiant heating taking place, even though it is just a short time.[p]Mike in MN