Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

indirect method

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Could someone explain how to employ the indirect cooking method? I have read posts on two different metods - one using a pizza stone and one using fire bricks. I have a medium size egg. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    LSUTiger,[p]Indirect cooking simply means NOT placing your meat/whatever over the direct heat of the coals. Some kind of barrier is needed in-between. This can be as simple as a sheet of aluminum foil, a baking pan, you name it.[p]Pizza stones and firebricks also serve this purpose (with your cook sitting on an elevated rack) and take cooking to a higher level since they will absorb heat and stabilize the temp of your Egg. Indirect cooking also provides the ability to cook at higher temps to shorten the process without worries about drying out the meat. [p]K~G[p]

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    LSUTiger,
    Hey Tiger. One myself - 1969. Now Texan thru & thru. Welcome to the Forum. Haven't seen you post before. You made a good choice to come here with questions. It will save you a lot of time and errors. These Eggheads have done it all and are still looking for new ways to do it. True believers in ceramic cooking they are. Lots of fun reading some of their stories. [p]If you are new to BGE you may want to purchase a few items to make the experience more enjoyable. Just go to BGE's list of gadgets and read about them. If your local dealer does not stock the things you select just call BGE in Atlanta and order from there. They respond quickly and are always nice. Consider these purchases as investments because they will last a very long time.[p]Anyway, welcome and good Egging to you.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Spring Chicken,[p]Thanks and Geaux Tigers