Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to cook a whole chicken

Options
ajw1976
ajw1976 Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am planning on cooking a whole chicken this weekend, but I'm not sure exactly what to do. I will more than likely brine it with Kosher Salt and sugar. I'm not sure what temp to cook it at, what temp to cook it to and if I should use a heat deflector or not.[p]Thanks for your comments.

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    AJW1976,[p]Same temp you would cook in the oven is a good rule of thumb in most cases. 375º till the breast meat juice runs clear.
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    AJW1976,[p]One method that produces outstanding results is to "spatchcock" the chicken. Spatchcocking is just cutting down each side of the backbone and removing it so the chicken will lay flat on the grill. Cook at ~350° direct. I usually put the bird on skin side up for 45-50 minutes and then flip skin side down for about 30 minutes and it comes out great. If you go by internal temp, pull when the breast reaches 165° and/or the thigh reaches 180°. BTW, this method and the "beer butt" method produce such a juicy bird that brining is not really necessary unless you just want the added flavor. Let us know how it turns out.[p]Keep the smoke risin',
    Jim

• Toe 49
    Toe 49 Posts: 193
    Options
    AJW1976,
    I agree with "spatchcocked" or "butterfly" chicken. I do them indirect, 325......breast up for 25 minutes.....flip and cook for another 25......this has never failed me. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with Montreal Garlic seasoning........mmmmmmmm

• ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    Options
    AJW1976,
    350 indirect for about an hour is my method.

[ul][li]Chicken on the Egg[/ul]
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    spatch.jpg
    <p />AJW1976,
    I've spatchcocked about 30 chickens. (I just hope they don't all get together and get even with me in the next life....) Here is a link to my webpage on this technique, where I have photos and directions. I do them direct for an hour at 350 degrees on a raised grid. I usually don't turn them. I have also brined chickens that I have spatchcocked. Frankly, I don't think it is worth the effort if all you are after is juiciness. (Click here to read why.) I might brine for flavor if the brine is filled with spices and things, but a basic brine doesn't add much to a spatchcocked chicken. Good luck![p]TNW

[ul][li]Directions For Spatchcocked Chicken[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    AJW1976,
    The spatchcocked method mentioned below yields "perfect chicken every time. Add a little pecan wood for smoke and it can't be beat.

• Bob V
    Bob V Posts: 195
    Options
    Agree with the spatchcocking, it is a great way to do a whole chicken. [p]Question, though: I saw a professional cook do a spatchcock one time and he folded the legs over and inserted them through the skin. Made for a great presentation as well as prevented the legs together when flipping. Unfortunately, I wasn't paying enough attention to how he did it at the time.[p]I did a web search and couldn't find anything on this technique. Anyone know how to do this?[p]Bob
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Bob V,[p]Can't explain it from my desk here, but if you took the legs on your chicken and folded 'em back to the sides, you would get enough of an idea where to make the cuts, I think. There is a picture of this method in Raichlan's "How To Grill". Looks nice, but I have never "tucked" the legs.[p]Jim
  • ajw1976
    ajw1976 Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for your comments. I am looking forward to cooking this weekend.[p]Anthony