Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Whole Pork Loin?

SparkySparky Posts: 34
edited 12:46AM in EggHead Forum
I purchased a 16lb. whole pork loin, but don't have the foggiest idea how the heck to prepare this sucker. I found it on sale for $0.99 per lb. & thought I'd give it a shot. (with the help from the experts on this site of course!) [p]Should I prepare it "Low-n-Slow", like a butt, or "Hot & Fast"? Direct, or Indirect? [p]FYI, the rack was cut in half, for packaging. I stuck it in the freezer, for the next time I cook for a large group. [p]TIA![p]Sparky[p][p][p][p]

·

Comments

• Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Sparky, If it were my loins on the line, and it usually is (pardon the pun) you have a 8lb beautiful cut of meat. [p]This is in the white meat catagory so your going to want to cook this at 300 to 350 degrees to a internal temperature of no more than 150 degrees. [p]This will give you a nice medium done pork to a very light pink center which is fine for pork. I like to slather mine with mustard and then dust on the rubs of my choice. Your taste prevails on the rub's. [p]You will not taste the mustard. Believe me. But you will have a nice bark to the meat. Especially if you do it at 350 degreesF in the cooker. Do it indirect over a drip pan with liquid supported in a V rack or on another grill supported over the drip pan. [p]I use firebricks on edge to support the second grill. Two of em. It's solid enuff.[p]If you want to save liquids for gravies..use firebricks under the drip pan.[p]Good luck...C~W[p]
    ·
  • Dr. ChickenDr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Sparky,
    Look at NB's pork loin and if that looks good, e-mail KOC for his instructions. Both of them and I think Gfw & Spin have excellent recipes and ideas. I'm still workin' on a different approach. One of these days, it'll be good enough to post.[p]Cheers! Dr. Chicken

·
  • sprintersprinter Posts: 1,188
    Sparky,[p]I too love pork loin and pretty much cut my teeth cooking them on the BGE, they are relatively forgiving and even the bad ones tase great.[p]My favorite way to cook a loin, if there is a favorite cause theyre all good, is to make a rub out of about a third cup of olive oil and then just go through the spice cabinet and add your favorite spices, keep in mind those that will compliment eachother. I make a paste of these with the oil and slather it on the meat as thick as I can and wrap it in plastic wrap for as long as you want. 4-6 hours or overnight and I've cooked it immediately also, your choice. I cook them direct at about 300-350 to an internal of 140-150 tops. Dont over cook pork as it dries out too quickly and gets tough. The herbs on the meat make a nice crust and the inside is nice and tender.[p]Easy shmeezy and it tastes great. I've also brined a pork loin and it was great. I need to practice on that myself but it was one of the most tender and juicy loins I've ever done, highly recommended also. This is a long topic and others know more about brining than I do but if you're interested I can try and point you in the right direction, the archives have some great links to brining pages as well. Good luck, hope this helps.[p]Troy
    ·