Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ozark Oak - $30 for 20lb Delivered?

Options
jeffinsgf
jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After the various discussions about lump prices and what's in the bags you buy, I did a little investigating. I'm about an hour an a half away from the Ozark Oak kilns, and as part of my real life I have daily UPS pick up. Ozark Oak is one of my favorite brands, and gets Naked Whiz's top recommendation (see his review here). Considering the cost of a box to hold two 10 pound bags, the cost of a pallet of OO, the cost of driving to Yellville to get said pallet, and a blended average of the UPS charges, I could ship anyone in the continental USA 20 pounds for 30 dollars. Seems a little high with the UPS charges, but if you're paying for bags of rocks, compared to some of the best lump on the market, and/or driving out of your way to get lump, maybe not so much. An alternative is to do shipping "zones", but that gets much more complicated and the variance is marginal. Also, those who would benefit most from zone pricing (close to me) can probably find OO in their area.

Soooo.....reaction to this thread will determine whether I pursue this or not. If a significant number think that sounds like a good deal, I'll go ahead.

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    I think the general feeling is that wicked good is some of the best out there. We had some delivered to AL/TN last year for around $15 for 22# bags. Bulk is definitely the way to go. UPS is going to kill you on freight (so will fed-ex)
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    The one downside I noticed when I tested both the WG regular and the competition blend was the neutral flavor. I could see this as an option if you were doing a lot of baking in the Egg or if you did not care for a smokey flavor. (I wound up just using more flavor wood than normal). Of course the burn time was really long, so it's a trade off.

At that $15 price, it would be nice to have 5 or 6 bags for speciality cooking.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    OO is what my dealer stocks here in Austin, TX and it is a sad day when I have to switch to my #2 brand for backup until I can get the supply replenished. It's not that sad of a day, because Royal Oak is a really great lump to cook with for anything. I just really prefer the Ozark Oak lump.