Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Long heat up

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The last three times I've used my BGE the coals have taken quite a while to heat up. I'm using BGE charcoal, about 1 1/2 inch above the air holes, and one weber parafin starting cube. Tonight after 20 minutes with both vents open the temp was only at 100. How often do you guys empty the ash pit?

Comments

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Eggsasperated,[p]I have experienced this from the last bag of lump I used. I believe ti may have to do with the amount of moisture in the air. I am looking forward to the last of that bag and opening a new new. I don't believe it has anything to do with the brand.

• Elder Ward
    Elder Ward Posts: 330
    Options
    Eggsasperated,[p]You need to do several things right now. [p]Remove all lump.
    Remove ring.
    Remove grate.
    Remove fire pot.
    Clean out all ash.
    Replace fire pot and make sure the hole in the bottom is facing the bottom vent hole exactly.
    Replace grate.
    Replace Ring.
    Fill with clean lump start with large pieces on the bottom.
    Open both vents all the way.
    Place fire starter on top.
    When it is burning, build a little lump fence close around it, then lay several pieces across the top.
    If you do this I guarentee you will will have a fire in 10 minutes.
    At this point preset your vents to the ultimate settings. [p]If you got em smoke em,[p]Elder Ward
    build a roof above the circle[p]

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Eggsasperated, I clean my egg about ever 30-40 hours of cooking whether it needs it or not - I haven't had the problem that you are describing and I leave my bag of BGE charcoal on the deck all winter - right next to the grill. I will say however, a bag of lump only lasts about a month and I use an electric starter most of the time - sorry I couldn't help.

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    I just had that happen last night, although not as extreme. It is very humid here right now and I think this bag had tornado trauma or something. Both vents open, hardly any ash got me about 500 and that's it. Normally I would have been pumping a thousand.
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Eggsasperated, I guess its time for Char-Woody to reveal one of his most inner most deep dark secrets in fire starting and success methods. I really hate to do this as it's gonna run contrary to some serious thinkers.
    First, I have only removed my fire rings or firechamber once in 2.5 year's And that was due to a repair. I use my ash tool to reach back and pull out any residule ash that may find its way behind the firechamber walls. [p]I remove ash after I find its half way or more full or about 6 to 8 cooks. This of course depends on the cooks. The hotter the fire the more ash per cook. Makes sense I think.[p]The first thing to learn is to use my "secret magic wand" and that is a 30 inch aluminum (steel will do too) rod with a 3 inch L shape bend to the bottom. I slowly stir the coals with the L end around the top of the grate till all ash from the previous burn is gone. Then place a fire cube directly on the grate. When the cube is burning intensly, add large charcoal chunks around the cube and form a pyramid. Close the dome and leave the top fully open (no caps) and be bottom vent wide open. In five minutes you can add more charcoal for a long burn to half way up the fire ring or just add enuff to do your steaks or quick cook.
    If you just add a partial amount in 10 minutes you will have a rip roaring fire to 700+ degrees. Time after time after time. But if you want to dismantle your entire set up that is also a sure fire "pun" way of getting to the end result. The hottest fire I ever had unintentionally was that first time I lit Mr. Egg up. :-) I wandered off for a few minutes and the needle on the temp guage was wound around 110%.[p]Thats also something to check..your temperature guage in boiling water.[p]I had to laugh with one of our early posters who also had the ash opening in the firechamber 180 degrees off the mark as well as the grate laying in the bottom of the ash pit. He also had problems..:-) Sorry for the long post!!
    You will find the way...Good luck.
    C~W[p]