Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat Slicer (need advice)

Klag
Klag Posts: 208
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got the greatest advice from this forum on the meat grinder and knife before I bought them, so figured I'd ask about this too :)

I want a meat slicer that will slice thin enough to make deli-meat type slices for roast beef sandwiches.

Any recommendations? I took a look and saw there are a zillion models ranging from $99.00 to like $400, then commercial ones on top of that. Obviously I wanna spend the least amount of money possible but I know ya get what ya pay for.

Thanks!!

Comments

• I wouldn't waste the money on anything but an industrial grade slicer.
    I lucked out in that I bought one recently which had a bad motor for $25. I had the motor rebuilt for $70 and now own a $500 slicer for less than $100.

Look for them at used restaurant equipment auctions or supply houses. You should be able to find a good quality Hobart for about $200. I cannot emphasize enough that you should avoid spending your money on anything but industrial quality since they break easily, often and could be dangerous if you use it on larger cuts of meat.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Chef's Choice model 630 or 632.

The only difference is that the 632 tilts. I also prefer the optional non-serrated blade.
  • Bluecrab3
    Bluecrab3 Posts: 328
    I would definitely recommend a Waring Pro. Costs around a hundred bucks..I'm going to do some posting later and I'll post a pic. I frequently order country ham from VA and it cuts it paper thin....also good for potatoes when you would normally use a mandelin (sp?)...
  • smokinsop
    smokinsop Posts: 180
    Been using a Chefs Choice 630 for about 3 yrs( 3-4 times a month) Still works great. About a $100.00 B)
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    I only have two experiences with meat slicers. I own a Waring Pro. It has done well with my use at home of cutting roast beef, pork loin, and turkey breast.

Pros: Inexpensive, safe, storable size, easy take down (you can take the blade off with a coin), has been reliable for the 2 years I've had it.

Cons: blade size is too small for huge cuts of meat, blade speed seems slow to me, the push tool becomes uncomfortable after 10 minutes of continuous use, and it's a pain to clean.

My other experience is with commercial Hobart slicers. They are fabulous but a bit out of my price range:) I worked in the safety department of a grocery chain and that is what we used in all of our deli and meat departments. I used them many times and loved them.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • I picked up a Chefs Choice model 630 about 6 months ago. Nice unit. Works well, and cleans up easily.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • Bluecrab3
    Bluecrab3 Posts: 328
    Here it is: cuts great, but to the others' points, it is a pain to clean...for me, it works great!
    Egg013.jpg