Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

First Attempt at Beef Back Ribs

ShiffShiff Posts: 1,319
edited 7:10AM in EggHead Forum
I didn't let today's cold weather (7 degrees at 9:00 AM) deter me from my plan to cook some Beef Ribs for the first time.

I want to thank Thirdeye for his description and suggestions on cooking great ribs. They really came out great. They were extremely tender - I did put them in foil with some broth for about a half hour at the 4 hour mark, but I really don't think that was necessary since they were very tender already at that time. I took them out of the foil and put them back in the rack for another half hour and then it was time to eat.

I used some DP "Raising the Steaks'

Here's how they looked when they went in the BGE
DSC04377.jpg

At the 3 hour mark
DSC04381.jpg

and finally done at 5 hours
DSC04385.jpg

Luckily there are plenty left over for tomorrow.

Barry
Barry Lancaster, PA
·

Comments

• FiretruckFiretruck Posts: 2,676
    Barry, dem ribs look fine. I love beef ribs, just did my first ones a couple weeks ago.
    ·
  • Boss HoggBoss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Barry,
    Those look really good. I haven't tried any kind of beef ribs yet. Gonna work on some babybacks tomorrow :cheer:
    Is it as warm :huh: in Lancaster Co. as it is over here in Berks County?
    Brian
    ·
  • big houndbig hound Posts: 102
    One of my favorites to do on the Egg. Got to make sure they're really meaty or they're just not worth it. When done I cut out every other bone so that each rib is double thick with a lot of meaty goodness... I think I've just talked myself into taking some prime ones out of the freezer
    ·
  • ShiffShiff Posts: 1,319
    When I cooked the ribs it was 7 degrees at the beginning and went all the way up to 17 by the time they were done.

This morning it is 3 degrees, but is supposed to soar all the way up to 20 later.
    Barry Lancaster, PA
    ·
  • ShiffShiff Posts: 1,319
    The ribs I cooked were quite meaty - they were from a local market called Stauffers. I hope they keep selling ribs like these because I want to cook some again. I'll have to compliment the butchers when I next go in.

Barry
    Barry Lancaster, PA
    ·