Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

23 LB Turkey ...low &slow or 350... Brined Turkey

Options
convert
convert Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a 23 lb turkey sucking up some brine waiting to be egged on sunday I've been dying for some smoked turkey.. Because I come from a steel smoker background I'm leaning toward the Low & Slow.. I'd probably go for a Spatchcocked Turkey but I don't think the big would handle this beast laid flat on the grill. Whattya think? I'm Looking for heavy smoke... Low & Slow or 300,350. Thanks for any Input...Convert

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Convert,
    yeah, spatcocking a bird that size covers a lot of grill. Personally I've done a few that size without spatcocking and find placing it on it's back on an auxillary grill which is resting on a dry foil wrapped drip pan works great. Shoot for 325 dome and iffin you have a Polder or such the breast should be 165 breast temp. Be sure to take off and let it relax for 30 minutes with a mere tent of foil before carving. As for smoke your choice, but poultry absorbs it pretty well and too much can turn the meat bitter. Good Luck!!!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Convert, Grease it up & start it out at least at 350. 165 in the breast is done. Bone appetit! JCA

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Convert,[p]Read through this recipe for some hints on a 350F roast.[p]Puj

[ul][li]PDK Bird[/ul]