Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

healthy apps

Options
crghc98
crghc98 Posts: 1,006
edited November -1 in Weight Loss Forum
Ok...One week in and I'm down 12lbs using weight watchers and exercise...(don't worry I'm doing it healthy, my wife wouldn't let me do it any other way).

Our superbowl party this year is appetizers....I'm thinking of doing some grilled chix on a stick with different sauces (healthy versions of buffalo, terriyaki, etc) and maybe a few "healthy" ABTs - turkey bacon, no fat cream cheese,turkey sausage etc...

Anyone else have any ideas...

Comments

• mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    One option for those sticks is sate, either chicken or beef:

Marinate for a few hours

1 lb of thinly-sliced flank steak in a mixture of:

3 Tbsp brown sugar
    3 cloves minced garlic
    2 Tbsp soy sauce
    2 Tbsp fish sauce
    1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
    1/4 C cooking oil
    3 Tbsp lime juice

Skewer and grill on high for just a couple of minutes on each side.

Butterfly shrimp with a strip of jalapeno down the middle, then close back up and wrap with turkey bacon.

Caprese salad on a stick - a cherry tomato, basil leaf, and cube or small boccocini of mozzarella on a large toothpick or small skewer.

Cooking Light has a tasty hot artichoke dip:

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1835271

It's also good with homemade pita or tortilla chips - just spray a whole wheat pita or tortilla with cooking spray and sprinkle with a little salt, then bake at 400 for somewhere around 6-10 minutes, flipping over at the halfway baking point and bake until crisp.

Black bean salsa - drain and rinse a can of black beans then mix with pico de gallo (we can buy that in our local grocery, but it's easy to make by dicing roma tomatoes, red onion, jalapeno, a little chopped cilantro, minced garlic, and a squeeze of fresh lime juice). Serve with the above chips or Baked Tostitos/Scoops

Rick Bayless' Shrimp Ceviche cocktail - it uses cooked shrimp, onion, cucumber or jicama, and ketchup plus a few other things. It's great with the above chips or Baked Scoops (you can skip the shrimp cooking part and just buy precooked shrimp. I usually make this with 2 pounds of shrimp and there's plenty of "sauce".

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_20336,00.html
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • Lab Rat
    Lab Rat Posts: 147
    Options
    Skewers of mushrooms drizzled with EVOO and italian seasoning.

Pizza - you pick the healthy ingredients. I did a Spanish version (forget the name and the exact recipe but it was out of a tapas cookbook). It was more like a foccacia with olive oil, black olives and anchovy. Very good.

Since my wife doesn't like anything spicy, I have made a lot of ABTs with pineapple, cream cheese and some mini sweet peppers I got at Sam's. If you use the low/no fat cream cheese and your turkey bacon it's another option.

John