Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Extended cold weather egging

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
5 of my friends and I will be packing up the eggs to take out to the snowy highlands of West Virginia on Thursday for a long weekend of camping, four wheeling and cooking. We'll bring a large and medium egg, and they will be burning for 4 days straight. And, of course, a bottle-melting campfire will also be blazin the whole time.

The catch? Looks like the warmest it will get is about 10. Here's the forecast for the lower elevations...we should be 5 or 10 degrees colder: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=durbin, wv&wuSelect=WEATHER

This is gonna be FUN!
Happy monday yalls.
Chris
DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Dude you're insane, I'm freezing here and its 38. -RP
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Hi Chris,
    I have to agree with AZRP, I think the cold weather has freeze dried yer brain cells. :whistle:

Now that's O.K. cause when I came here in July of 2001 and told everyone I love this time of the year here, they all said the sun has already gotten to me. :( :silly:

Well hey, a man gotta do what a man gotta do. Enjoy yourselves and be sure to have a hot toddy or 5 to stay warm. We will be waiting for pictures. :cheer:

Enjoy,
    Bordello
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Yeah, 38 is pretty nippy for yooz guys. Especially when you are accustomed to running around in shorts and a tee shirt LOL.

Insane? Maybe. But bet we have the place to ourselves! It's all good once you are comfortably numb. Sure is purty out there.

eggcamping.jpg
    snowcamp.jpg
    hummerwinch.jpg
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    What on earth did you guys do that was so bad to deserve that level of punishment??? LOL

Just kidding. I know you love it and will be kind enough to share your adventure with stories and photos.

Enjoy.

Spring "Cozy Warm" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    is your friend going to sacrifice another Hummer to the winter gods like that other time? :laugh:
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    if you were closer i would lend you my wall tent, 14 by 20 something. full size wood stove, sleeps 5 comfortably with cots and still enough room for a card table by the stove. i think the coldest ive slept outside was just about minus 10 in a sleeping bag and tarp next to a icefishing trap in the center of a lake (no tent). the big tent is more comfy :whistle: most dont understand cold and snow for camping, its all about the bragging rights and the food, have fun
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Thanks Bob. I'll be snappin some shots fo sho. We plan on eating good.

Brain cells would probably freeze, but thankfully there are clothes you can wear that you can't feel the cold in. Biggest issue will be trying to keep the beer from freezing, and keep the bottles from sticking to our lips ;-)

Enjoy the sunshine!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    let me know how you make out! brrrrrr
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Bordello
    Options
    Damn,
    I looked at your pictures and just went over and turned my heater on and up to 80. Got a hot coffee drink from the local coffee joint earlier, now if I only had a shot of something strongr to add. Oh well. :(

I know y'all will have a great time. Anyone have internet access from there???

Cheers,
    Bordello

Oh, no women??? :whistle: :silly: :whistle:
    Damn, talk about withdrawal.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i hope he lerned that its better to gently apply the gas in four wheel drive than to stomp on the brakes and go oh my god.... oh my god... oh my god....oh my god.... sheeeeeeet
    we need to see that pic again
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    as i kid, we'd camp in a three sided hut. the trick was to sleep in your skivvies, rather than in your clothes, because in your clothes you'd sweat and the sweat would freeze.

unfortunately, the last guy to wake up (always me) would be dragged out and dumped into the snow in his underwear....

never went through -10 temps, but overnight snow wasn't unusual.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Bordello
    Options
    Thanks Chris,

Hey,
    Maybe ya need one of those coolers that also heat???

I don't know how warm they get or if they have temp control.

Cheers,
    Bordello

John going with ya???
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Wood stove in a tent...now that's luxury! You're right, too. Bragging rights, good food....but the biggest thing for us is the sheer beauty, the fact that we are the only ones out there, and being totally out of any kind of cell phone range while we leave the "real world" behind us until we nearly forget about it.

Just think if everyone understood what snow camping was all about...it wouldn't be any fun cuz there'd be too many people!

Cheers bro!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    No women. No internet. That's part of what makes it so special!

Those warming coolers might not be a bad idea. I still have a cooler we once partially melted by trying to keep it warm by the fire.

Last time we just put it in the truck after running the heater for a while.

Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    LOL. I can't find those pictures now, but I can sure see it in my head...down there upside down in the creek bed. Yeah, I think he learned a little from that day.

Kudos to him though, he jumped right back on the horse with his new hummer. We have to slow down and wait for him once in a while, but at least he'll be out there once again!

Here is to keeping all four tires on the ground!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i used to do alot of iceout fishing up in maine, favorite place was 18 miles by boat, set up camp around midnight and wake up to a veiw of mt katahdin across the lake. always cold bonechilling rain, ice on the boat, looked forward to a warm tent. stove has a 2.5 gallon water tank attached, always hot water.
    fukahwee maine

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Will do Leroy! Stay warm now.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • LoveHandles
    Options
    Hey Man, I'm all for it. Hope you guys have a great time, but don't freeze your bad ass self, cause you've got a class to teach the 6th of February YOU KNOW !

See-Yaa
    Mike
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    It will be a nice contrast coming out to your little 70 degree oasis a couple weeks after the extreme cold. Looking forward to it MANG!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Hatch
    Hatch Posts: 149
    Options
    Yeah Arizone is going to be just what I need after this one. Give me a hollar when you get a chance.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Chris,,

Gee you could just come up here and camp in my backyard if you want temps like that. Eggs are already there and and extra food could be passed in to the house. :laugh:
    We would even let y'all use the bathrooms :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Aren't there pocket sized Eggs, just for occasions like this? Just one piece of lump, and the vents set just so, and you have a warm coat all night...
  • LoveHandles
    Options
    Hey- I hope its not that cold when you get here. The 70's, man thats cold for here.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Looks like a great time. Camping to me is best when is cold at night/morning with the campfire and some good hot coffee. Haven't got to do too much of that though :(
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    Chris hope you all have a great time and safe trip. As for the cold weather, better you then me. Have Fun
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Keep it on the road, and have a Great Time!

Mike
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    If'n you get stuck again give me a call. I'll come pull you out or air lift in the beer.. :woohoo:

.o0(just how did they get a hummer stuck?)
  • fishlessman
    Options
    they suumersaulted it forward onto the roof and road it upsidedown to a river bank below, the picture was priceless
    fukahwee maine

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Chris:

I starting to shiver just sitting here thinking about that :ohmy: ! I know you like it, but I don't understand why :laugh: ! Enjoy yourself and will be looking forward to the photos of the trip.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Feb32009069.jpg

HummerSnow.jpg

Hey man, you're killing me this post! I'm bummed I won't be able to join you guys this time around.... and just to rub it in further, here are a few from cold trips past.

For me, winter camping is good honest fun with some of the most beautiful scenery that few ever get to see.... have a blast boys!

john

Feb32009178.jpg

Feb32009100.jpg

ABTandNB.jpg

NatureBoyPizza.jpg

Feb122006.jpg