Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Checking in

Options
Michael B
Michael B Posts: 986
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been pretty busy for the past few months, and thought I'd check in and say HI.

That, and I'm having an 'empty nest' moment, as my son just headed off for Iraq. He is an Army bassoonist and will be touring Iraq and Afganastan with the 25th Infantry Division Band for the next year.

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Good morning :) lots of names have been missing from here lately. all busy I guess :) I will keep your son in my thoughts and hope he is home safe and sound fast! thank you to you and your family for serving! you do not hear about to many Bassoon players! sports take front and center at most schools and music becomes smaller and smaller......
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    I saw a reply the other night from you. Glad you had time to check in. I for one always look forward to seeing your posts. Please stay around, and good luck to your son and thank him for his service to our country.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I was in the 25th ID(L) back in the early 90s. Is he permanently stationed at Schofield Barracks or just TDY with that Division?

Good luck to him, and thank you to you both for his service and sacrifices for this great nation.
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    mike -
    Thank you!

Mainegg -
    Mark started playing bassoon in 6th grade.
    In the next 7 years (6th thru 12th grades) he had played with the town band 2 years, the Manchester, N.H. Youth Orchestra 3 years, and the Greater Boston Youth Symphony Orchestra 1 year.
    The 4 years he tried out for All-State he took 2nd place once and 1st place 3 times. He also played in the N.H. Wind Ensemble 3 years. That group is made up of the top 5 players from the All-State Orchestra. The 1 year he tried out for All-New England, he took 1st place. After high school he studied with the president of the Double Reed Society for a year.
    He also played soccer, basketball, baseball, and football.

Fidel -
    He tried out for, and was accepted by all of the armed forces branches. I thought he’d opt for the Air Force, as it would be the most civilian-like, but he chose the Army. He said; “If I’m going to be playing in a military band, I ought to be entertaining military troops.”
    The 25th Infantry Division Band is a permenant division at Schofield. They call themselves the ““Tropic Lightning” Band. Mark’s tour of duty with them is 3 years.

Yes, I’m pretty proud of him.
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    he chose the Army. He said; “If I’m going to be playing in a military band, I ought to be entertaining military troops.”
    that is truly the spirit of serving :)