Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer cheese soup

Baby j
Baby j Posts: 148
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I watched an episode of Johnson and Wales cooking with beer. They made a Beer Cheese soup, but I can't remember the recipe or can find it on the internet. Does anyone have that recipe or any good beer cheese soup recipe?

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Here is one way.

Soup, Beer & Cheese, Ed

INGREDIENTS:
    6 cups milk
    2 12 Ozs Cans Beer, divided
    1 40 Ozs Pkg Process cheese spread
    1 10 Ozs Can Chicken broth
    1 tsp worcestershire sauce
    3 dashes hot sauce, or to taste
    1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch
    garlic/onion croutons, for garnish

Procedure:
    1 Combine milk and 2 1/2 beer in large (min. 5-qt.) Dutch oven. Cook over low heat until thoroughly heated, stirring constantly. Add cheese spread, broth, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce. Cook over low heat until thoroughly heated, stirring constantly.
    2 In small bowl, combine cornstarch and remaining beer. Add to cheese mixture; simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened (do not boil).

Servings: 1
    Yield: 4 quarts.

Recipe Type
    Soup

Recipe Source
    Source: BBQ List, Edwin Pawlowski, 1998/12/08
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    hmmm, thanks, Richard. When it says 40 Ozs Pkg Process cheese spread I assume that is the product commonly known as Cheese Whiz...or am I wrong? We have a local Irish restaurant that makes a great beer/cheese soup and just reading the ingredients makes me want to yell BINGO - bet that's a close enough start to matching their recipe!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I have never made this recipe, but in previous cheese soup attempts I use Velvetta or some times some grated SHARP cheddar. Cheese Whiz probably would work like velvetta.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    I didn't see the show, so I don't know how close this is to theirs, but this is the one we've been making for years.

http://nibblemethis.blogspot.com/2009/01/european-street-style-beer-cheese-soup.html

DSC_18981024x768.jpg
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Baby j
    Baby j Posts: 148
    Thank you for the recipe. I seem to remember something about caraway seeds and onions being sauteed. Then beer some other ingrediants then cheese. I'll try and email them and find out.

Baby j
    jason hillenbrnd