Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butterflied Chicken procedure

Mop
Mop Posts: 496
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As many of you know I am a big fan of butterflied chickens.
I have done several but have a question regarding procedure.[p]While doing two or three on the ceramic cooker at the same time I regulate the incoming and the exhaust to maintain temps the same way I do for any other item I cook.
I am finding with that many chickens on the cooker there is a ton of smoke, primarily from the drippings.(I use no wood for smoke on poultry)
I was wondering if anyone has tried doing them with the exhaust (daisy top) wide open and use the inlet as the sole means of air regulation in hopes of letting out excess smoke.
I just thought of that last night before I took them off.
I think that I could avoid 'too' much smoke by doing this.......any ideas?[p]Mop

Comments

• Toe 49
    Toe 49 Posts: 193
    Mop,
    Hey Mop....I know exactly what you're talking about as I tried 3 one time and it resulted in a lot of smoke.....some blackened skin, etc. What I did the last time I did multiple butterflies was used (gasp) my plate setter with a cookie sheet and foil as a "drip pan". The charcoal is burning more/hotter, but the indirect keeps the dome temp down.....once they are done and it's almost time to pull them off, I'll remove the plate setter, toss them (well, place them) back on and let the skin "crisp".....