Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First brisket attempt

Options
Wanabe
Wanabe Posts: 355
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well I say attempt but with the BGE you are fairly assured of success. My egg setup is a fresh load of lump w/ BGE coal, inverted plate setter, pizza stone on three feet to shield drip pan, drip pan then grill.

Two briskets weighing about 6lbs. from Costco. I just picked out the one that looked right to me.

twobriskets.jpg

I basted then with French’s yellow mustard and sprinkled liberally with Dizzy Dust.

brisketandfrenchs.jpg

Then covered with a layer of bacon, everything is better with bacon!

brisketandbacon.jpg

Placed on the LG with the temp stabilized at 225. I turned the job over to the DiGiQ, now I wait.

brisketonBGE.jpg

Comments

• Misippi Egger
    Options
    Looks great. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Question: Why 2 temp probes into the meat? Does the DiGiQ use two instead of one, in addition to the air temp?

I have the BBQ Guru (precurser to the DigiQ), which only has one meat probe.

Thanks.

/Clark
    Madison, MS
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    whats your overall plan with them, i never cooked them that small. you may want to do a foil wrap with them being that they have no fat, maybe when the reach about 160.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Wanabe
    Options
    I’m still pondering to foil or not. The briskets have a nice layer of fat on the bottom.
    The second set of probes is for my Redi check for remote monitoring. Can’t have too many probes!
  • PepperPilot
    Options
    Please post a picture when these come off, I have thought of using the Costco briskets, but they always appear to me too lean. I normally use the packed, untrimmed briskets from the local butcher.

Pepper Pilot.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    I suspected that was a RediChek probe, but I wondered if the DigiQ might have had a probe to show the actual meat temp, in addition to the set temp one.

Good luck with them.

I would foil. It seems to help redistribute the moisture after all cooks I have done.

/Clark
    Madison, MS
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    ive never used the foil until the cook was done and in the cooler, but those may need it. just so you know whats right for next time, maybe foil one and compare.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Wanabe
    Options
    7 3/4 hours and the temp is up to 180.

brisket-5.jpg

I decided to take your advice and foil one. We will see what happens!

brisket-6.jpg
  • Wanabe
    Options
    While the brisket was resting in the cooler, I baked my favorite bread.

brisket-7.jpg

Served with roasted herb potatoes, zucchini and home made applesauce.

brisket-8.jpg

I’m ready to dig in! I have to say the only difference between the foiled and un-foiled brisket was a bit smokier flavor in the un-foiled.

brisket-9.jpg
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Thanks for the finale followup.

Looks like a great meal, all around.

Interesting report on the foiling debate.

Keep it up .....