Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thirdeye Turkey Eggsperiment Started tonight

Options
TomM24
TomM24 Posts: 1,366
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just a post to say I'm doing more than bourbon. Tonight I mixed up the brine/cure and tossed a drumstick in. I am going to add another tomorrow and the next day then let equilbrate for a day and smoke them on saturday so I can see how hammy I like them. Planning on tossing a butt on with the drumsticks.

Oh and tonight I egged up some Wegmans turkey burgers that we topped with the radish red onion carrot pickle leftover from the Fine Cooking cook the other day. It made a fine topping. My egg was encasted in a sheet of ice. Used the weed burner and in 5 minuted it was at 550. Choked it down to 400 to cook the burgers.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    That's a good idea, staggering the brine time and all. Be sure and let us know how they turn out.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    You can count on it. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to braise the losing drumstick the same day to make beans. The beans probably will have to wait until sunday. But I would really like the beans with the drumsticks.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Have fun smokin the turkey drumsticks. I learned alot from thirdeye's blog recipe and have tried several experiments on my own,....skinless, foil stage, mop glaze, indirect, direct, brining, different smoking woods. Turkey is versitile and the drumsticks impressive to see at the dinner table.
    Good luck.

BGE4stageturkeydrumsticks0004.jpg
    BGETurkeyDrumsticks0014.jpg
    BGE4stageturkeydrumsticks0017.jpg
    BGE4stageturkeydrumsticks0022.jpg