Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

grilled portabella mushroom--need recipe

Options
TRex
TRex Posts: 2,714
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My friend wants me to grill her some portabella mushrooms on the Egg. Any ideas on time/temps, etc.? Should I marinate the mushrooms first? Indirect/direct? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.[p]Thanks.[p]TRex

Comments

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    TRex,
    I wouldn't marinate them, as excess moisture has a negative effect on them. (Mush) They are also better if only cooked a minimum amount of time. Heck, they're good if eaten raw![p]I would take something like an Italian dressing (or make your own using olive oil, a favorite flavored vinegar, and your favorite herbs and spices) and give them a light coating (after minimal cleaning/drying) and then right to the grill. Keep the marinating time to a minimum. I would cook at a lower temp (300) until they looked like they were getting "happy." (10-15 minutes) They should be al-dente when you pull them...not fully cooked.[p]If you are leaving them whole, and cooking directly on the grill, make sure you "lube" the grill with something prior to placing the mushrooms (or whatever) onto the hot grill. I like to slice an onion in half and pour some olive oil (or Italian dressing) on a plate, add some salt and pepper, and then place the cut side of the onion onto the plate so the onion can absorb the olive oil. Do this about 10 minutes before grill time. Before placing mushrooms (or whatever) onto the grill, take the onion and wipe the whole grill with it. Watch for the flare ups, sometimes you will get a nice flame (hey, it even LOOKS good!) Leave the onion on the grill and cook it up as long as you are cooking. It makes a nice "treat" for the cook, or throw it on the plate when the meal is finished. I have a tendancy to peal off layers of the onion as it cooks....just a little sample here, another there....you get the idea![p]Does that make sense? [p]I learned that little trick watching a Mexican Chef grilling seafood for us, years ago.[p]Mike in MN

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    TRex,
    Get the big caps. Marinate them for a couple hours in Newmans Caesar dressing or Cajun Injector Roasted Garlic and Herb marinade. Something really garlicky. Grill hot gill side down for a couple minutes, flip and fill with bleu cheese. Grill untul the cheese melts and the Portabella looks done. It's pretty hard to over or undercook them. Be sure to tell her drbbq gave you the recipe. Leon is not allowed to use this recipe.
    [/b]
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • TRex,[p]I checked www.recipesource.com for grilled portobella mushroom recipes. They had a couple of variations you might want to take a look at.