Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

large and med

Options
darylws
darylws Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am new to the egg world but after reading about large vs xl I will be going with the large. now the problem
if I like the egg like I think I will I will be looking
at a new problem for the second one med vs small
any thoughts

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    the small is the protable option. I would go with a large/small combo.
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    I have had a large for a while and recently bought a small. I have'nt had the opportunity to really test it, but have done several cooks on it so far. I have no trouble feeding a family of 4 with the small. So far I love it.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    I've had my medium for almost 10 years. I just got my large. There are things that I still prefer to do on the medium. The small is more portable than the medium, but I can't see any other advantage. Maybe I'll have to get one of them, too to make sure. :laugh:

Low and slows are much, much easier on the large. The large has more corporate and third party accessories. But, the medium is my choice for steaks, direct roasting cooks and dutch oven cooks.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    The decision is really about how many you are cooking for most of the time.

I have all from large down. If I were starting over, with my needs, I think I would get a large and a mini.

I am thinking of selling my small and medium and picking up another large.

GG
  • darylws
    Options
    the amount we feed varies because we have to teens and they have A LOT of friends. the large egg is smaller than my old grill and we have had that full many of times in the past. but kids are getting older (seems they never move out just more move in)that's why I don't want the XL. cost diff between the med and small is ??
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    Options
    I did the large medium combo, and have no regrets. Like it has been said before, for long lo and slo's, the large is the go to cooker. But for a family of four, I find I can do most everything else on the medium. It is really convenient to be doing two different types of cooks (indirect/lo & slo/direct/raised grid, etc.) at the same time.

fc
  • GrillDaddy
    Options
    This question comes up at lot. How long have you had your BGE Large? Many people fall in love with their new BGE and want more. But if you have your heart set on getting another. I would recommend

If you will travel w/ it get a small or Mini which one you can handle. If not, go ahead and get the medium. Just go to a dealer were you can see each model.

Good Luck
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I only have a medium but absolutely love it. Have cooked 17 lbs of butt and turkey on it without a problem. Have maintained a slow cook for 18+ hours on single fill of lump and it does use less lump then a large. I can cook steaks for 5 to 6 guests easily. About 5% of the time I wished I would have got a large and 95% glad I got a medium. Oh, primarily cook for wife and I for 80% of cooks.