Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Guru Test Cook

Options
Austin Smoker
Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Not that I was worried about the Guru working, more so interested in and operator test run. So rolled a Pork tenderloin in crushed white, red and black peppercorns (crushed) and a little Dizzy Dust.

I think my favorite thing about the Guru is just not worrying about dome temp fluctuations, but it doesn't hurt not having to go check on things when it's 38 degrees outside (yeah, I know - not cold right - I'm a Texan dangit, it's cold!) This pic is taken from the comfort of my kitchen!!

DSC_0003.jpg

380 degrees, a chunk of apple and 45 mintues later - alarm goes off telling me the tenderloing is at 145 - 10 minutes of rest and sliced to go:

DSC_0004.jpg

Plated with a little grilled asparagus (EVOO, S&P, garlic) and a little Rustic Italian from the Market.

DSC_0006.jpg

I can't wait to not fret over my next low and slow!!

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    I did 23 LBS of butt for Christmas eve. Started at 2:00PM Tuesday and pulled at 3:00PM Wednesday. Let the Guru do the driving and had a great night sleep. These little controllers are worth every penny IMO.
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Options
    Brad,
    Pork looks good. Questions...Did you shoot a wild hog for thattenderloin? How long did you grill that asparagas & at what temp? I tried it about a month ago and turned the asparagas into skinny, green hardwood :angry:.
    I got a Digi Q back in Nov for my birthday and haven't tried it yet. I have a fear of anything digital :blush:
    Brian in PA
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    Mike,

I just got my Guru for Christmas from my lovely wife.

I definitely want to try a long slow cook like that. At what temp did you cook?

Greg
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Great looking cook again AND 38 DEGREES IS COLD!!!! All I have done today with the rain and temps is peak outside or run from cage to store! :laugh: Man I used to "stress"" over my "Q" also. Now ,like last week ,I load up my Medium and make sure everything is up to temp and cycling right( read I didn't screw something up). Then forget about it. On the pulled pork I went to bed at 23:00 and didn't think about it again till 8:00. "Q"'s my friend! ;)
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    The DigiQ is definitely one of my favorite things to use when cooking low-and-slow, especially when it's 38° outside! Hehe...yeah, I froze my butt of today :P

Dinner looks great, and good to know that everything cooks up that quickly.
  • AlwaysGolf
    Options
    Hey Austin Smoker looks good. That is what I wanted for Christmas, but definitely for Father's Day or Valentines Day. Being a transplanted Floridian, 38 is rather cold and definitely too cold for golf.
  • Austin Smoker
    Options
    Boss Hogg,
    No wild hogg killing from me...I'm strictly a bird hunter. This meat came from the store. As for the Asparagus, I've learned to cook it at 400-450 for about 4-5 minutes (for "normal" sized stalks - about 1 cm diameter at the base) then, when I remove from the grill I'll place it in a dish with a little depth and cover with foil for 2 or 3 minutes - it continues to cook in its own steam. Turns out tender and yummy. Good luck.

Boss Hogg wrote:
    Brad,
    Pork looks good. Questions...Did you shoot a wild hog for thattenderloin? How long did you grill that asparagas & at what temp? I tried it about a month ago and turned the asparagas into skinny, green hardwood :angry:.
    I got a Digi Q back in Nov for my birthday and haven't tried it yet. I have a fear of anything digital :blush:
    Brian in PA
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Sorry it took so long to reply. I started at 225 and the next morning I jacked it up to 250. Around noon I cranked it up to 300. Finished at 196, I couldn't wait any longer as I had a party to go to.