Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sad news

2»

Comments

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    WMK,
    All I can say is that Wanda and I are very saddened. I was a friend of JJ's since the beginning and after meeting him and his wife at the Atlanta Eggfest he became an even better friend. He will be missed greatly and I feel another big loss for this board.
    Best wishes for Kathy and the family.
    Ron.

• TJinBham
    TJinBham Posts: 24
    WMK,
    Very sorry to hear this sad news. We were there at the begining of the board.[p]My prayers are with you, Kathy and the rest of his family.[p]Terry

• WMK,
    alyce and i are saddened by this news we received last evening - we began each eggtoberfest with an early friday lunch with jj and kathy - and the evenings were closed with the famous "mint julip" gatherings in his room - i cannot duplicate the mint julip but the first thing i smoked after the first eggtoberfest was a leg of lamb per his instructions - whether by phone or in person, he always managed to include the words, "my friend" - for this i am thankful - kathy, we love you and you are in our prayers

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    WMK,
    I could not believe the news when Cornfed called me this evening to tell me of what happened. I am in shock and will be for sometime.
    I have had the pleasure of meeting JJ at the second Eggfest and was hoping to see him this coming Eggfest. And lets not forget one other side of JJ..a true Patriot. As our nation prepares for victory in the Middle East he will be looking down from front row seats and will be proud.
    God Bless JJ,
    Smokin Todd
    [/b]
  • Pug
    Pug Posts: 57
    WMK,
    I have been away for a couple of days and I return to hear sad news. My thoughts and prayers go out to JJ's family. He will be missed.[p]Steve

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    WMK,
    I never had the opportunity to meet JJ except on the forum, but I alway's enjoyed his posts. I pray for him and his family in this time of sorrow.
    I'm sure that he is now teaching Egg techniques to the folks in heaven!
    Hammer

• I met JJ for the first time with Mr Toad at the 99 eggfest. Wow!!! He loved to cook, he loved Kathy, and he loved his fellow eggers. He will truely be missed.
    Dee and I send our love and many prayers to Kathy and the family.
    Yours in the egg--a sad Colonel

• Julie
    Julie Posts: 133
    WMK,
    What a wonderful legacy this man left to have people who met him and people who only knew him on this forum honor J.J. with all these glowing praises! May eternal rest be granted unto his soul and solice be granted to his family.
    Julie

• bigarms
    bigarms Posts: 136
    WMK,[p]It's truly a sad day for all. My heart goes out to his family and the BGE family. He will be missed.[p]bigarms

• WMK,
    jj was the kind of person that everyone liked and knowing him for who he was, was a blast. all the condolences in the world to kathy...

• Babyray
    Babyray Posts: 250
    WMK,
    So sorry to hear this. The first thing I did when I got my new BGE over two yrs. ago was make up a batch of JJ's rub, I have continued to use that recipe and will think of him everytime I do. Met him for the first time at last years Eggtoberfest (my first Eggtoberfest) and felt like he was someone I had known forever. His friendly manner and willingness to help were sincere. Faye and I send our prayers. Ray and Faye Price

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    WMK, Holy smokes; what a bummer! [p]To me Jack was a patient & encouraging mentor; a generous, yet opinionated friend; a damn good cook; a true patriot and a warm host. He taught me an AWFUL LOT & even convinced my husband to accompany me to Eggtoberfest. [p]We are now especially thankful that we took the time to stop in Guntersville on a road trip south.[p]Kathy, you are in our thoughts and prayers. Julie & Steve

• fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    WMK,[p]I hope JJ is cooking up something better than any of could ever imagine. I never met JJ. Its truely a loss .... I wish the best for his family and friends.....
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    WMK,[p]I did not read this sad news until this evening. I offer my sincerest condolences to JJ's family. I'm sure he will rest in peace.[p]Carl Turek
  • Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    WMK,
    I was just catching up on forum and saw your news about Jack,I'm really shocked and saddened.He has given me a lot of help over the last few years.He'll be badly missed and my prayers and thought are with the family. Bob

• Elder Ward
    Elder Ward Posts: 330
    WMK,
    Well I have been away working and did not know of JJ's Passing I pray he is with God. He was a grand old gentleman of the pit. He had a lot of knowledge and was willing to share with everyone that would listen. His help and knowledge will be greatly missed and if we didn't always agree we learned from each other and I hope he grew from the experiance as much as I did. He really love this form.
    Here is to you JJ.
    Carl D. Ward, Jr. aka Elder Ward

• WMK,
    JJ was a good friend. He gave me advice. His e-mails were to the point. I'm very sad and words don't come easy right now. I pruse the forum ocassionally, am glad I learned what happened. My best to Kathy and all his family.[p]I'm sure JJ and your father are swapping stories and having a lot of fun.[p]thanks for letting us know![p]Grillin Bill