Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza stone for small egg

Options
Steve-O
Steve-O Posts: 302
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone found a good quality pizza stone for the small egg. I don't really intend to cook a pizza on my small, but would like something ceramic to put between the fire and casserole dishes or bean crocks when cooking something other than meat. I think the small BGE pizza stone (12"??), while it will fit on the 13" grill of a small, might be too large to allow enough heat around it to cook beans or a casserole in a reasonable amount of time.

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Steve-O, someone (I think it was Julie) posted a web site where you can order two 9" stones for around $15.00

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Steve-O,[p]As Bill posted, you should be able to go to a ceramic supply shop and find a 10" or 9" round stone. While there, get yourself a set of 4 1/2" kiln posts to put between the stone and the bake dish.[p]Here's a link to examples of kiln posts.[p]Puj
    [ul][li]Kiln posts and Egg configurations[/ul]
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Puj,
    Why do you use kiln posts between a pot and the pizza stone? I have a stone in my oven and whenever I put anything in the oven, I just place it on the stone. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]It just depends on what I'm baking/roasting, and in what order ...[p]At the moment I have a pan of lasagne baking in the Egg. It is a glass pan sitting on top of a stone and the 1/2" kiln posts. Prior to putting the lasagne in I baked 3 loaves of Pain à l' Ancienne at a much higher temp (500°F), and using the kiln posts will ensure that the heat from the stone won't burn the bottom of the lasagne.[p]Puj

• Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Options
    Wise One,[p]Here's the link for the small pizza stones. Santa brought me a set for Christmas, but I haven't gotten around to using them yet. They are 9"x1/2". Comes in a set of two stones.[p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

[ul][li]9" Pizza Stones[/ul]
  • Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Options
    That's a whoopsy. They are 8"x1/2". Price is $19.99.
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Steve-O,
    smgrill.jpg[p]The cooking grid from the small Weber (Smoky Joe) kettle ($7 from Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) is 14" in diameter and just a tad too large to fit on the Small Egg firering.[p]Raise it up with 3.5" bolts, however, and it's a perfect fit. Now you can use the 12" BGE pizza stone on it with enough air flow around the outside for any temps you need.[p]smgrill2.jpg[p]This has become my brick oven for small pizza baking.[p]K~G[p]

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Kelly Keefe, I think that is it. In case folks have troiubl efiguring why it's not the 13" or the 16" it's because it is hidden as "Pizza for Two". But you do get two stones for $19.99

[ul][li]Pizza for Two.[/ul]