Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pics of Pizza with Publix Dough

Options
Buckwoody Egger
Buckwoody Egger Posts: 674
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My first pizza post was with Trader Joe's dough. It's a good dough but at 500, the flavor was delicious but the done-ness so to speak was not top shelf.

This one was with Publix dough at 600. It was a lot closer to OHMYGOODNESSAMISTILLONEARTH. I think this one was too thick and next time will divvy up the dough ball and roll two thinner crusts. But trust me and the dog it was SHUSHTILLIMDONE delicious.

Setup is platesetter legs down with pizza stone on three feet. Ingredients were pepperonis under and over cheese, banana pepper rings and (doh! bought the wrong can) chopped olives instead of sliced. Cooked on parchment paper, presented on a 70's era funkdafied Metlox platter.

Before the Egg:
IMG_0157.jpg

Where the magic happens:
IMG_0158.jpg

Done:
IMG_0163.jpg

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Very nice.

The publix dough is tasty but you really need to let it warm and rest so it is workable. If cooks up very nicely it you can manage to stretch it super-thin.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    The Publix dough is really pretty good for an easy short cut! We use it ourselves when I am too short on time. I totally agree with Fidel though, it needs to be rolled very thin. Let it rise from the bag, then cut it into portion sizes, then begin to roll out. When you try to roll out dough and it springs back, walk away for 5 minutes! Roll again. You'll be surprised at the difference! Roll it real thin! The Publix dough does rise, but is really quite good.
  • Fidel
    Options
    Roll? *gasp*

I'm kidding - I'd roll mine too if I hadn't spent my collegiate years tossing dough in a pizzeria.

If you get a chance when you find some of your favorite pizza dough recipes I'd like to take a look. I'm working on a dough and would like to try a few more to see what changes I might incorporate into mine to get it where I want it.
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    Thanks guys. Just getting started and the reassurance and tips help a lot.
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    BCE,
    Thats a good looking pizza! Next time you are at Publix keep an eye out for the 5 grain pizza dough, I have done a ton of pizza dough from publix, but finally tried the 5 grain they offer the other day. IMO it was one of the absolute best pizzas I have ever had.
    If you can learn to toss, you will have a whole new appreciation for pizza. You can watch some you tube videos on kids tossing at PJ's if that is beneficial to you. I also worked at a pizzeria in my high school days and still have a few buddies in the industry, so I have somewhat decent tossing skills, it just takes practice. Try and let it sit out for an hour or so and then need it out, spinning like a steering wheel as you go, get it to about 8" in diam and start "slapping" it back and forth from hand to hand, and give it a good toss! Regardless, that is a great looking pizza!
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    Rod,
    Do you mind posting that dough recipe again. I could have sworn that I had copied it into my recipe doc, but I can't seem to find it. I would like to give that one a try sometime. Thanks!
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Roll and Gasp all you want! :woohoo: I can't toss a pie to save my life!! LOL! Must rely on the french pin, with a stretch of the dough here and there! LOL ! I try to toss, and it aint pretty! :woohoo:
    I have a request of you, as well. I want to master a dough like I had in the North East. Crunchy, yet chewey enough that you almost have to rip it with your teeth. I will share what I have, no question. If you come up with a nice, crispy yet chewey NY style pizza dough, promise to share? :);) I've been trying for about 2 years now. The doughs are delicious, but I have not yet achieved the texture I am tying for. (I've heard it's the water....but I am not yet willing to accept that). :laugh:
  • Fidel
    Options
    Here is a link to the thread:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=560246&catid=1

I have since made a couple changes. Use 1 cup whole wheat flour and 2 cups bread flour instead of 3 cups bread flour. I also add 2 Tbsp wheat germ (this tip was given to me by a waitress at MM).

Another huge tip is to let it sit overnight after the rise. It will develop a much deeper flavor. The next day just let it warm up, toss, and top.
  • Fidel
    Options
    I have just posted a link that you may like.

And believe it or not - spring water is a key. Chlorine and fluoride in tap water allegedly affect the balance of yeast and bacteria and make a difference in the end product.

Also, if you have any, add a Tbsp or so of vital wheat gluten for a real spring.
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    Appreciate it!
  • Fidel
    Options
    Hey Barrett - one more thing to note when cooking this pie. Since you're a pizzeria guy you'll understand this.

As it gets cooking, maybe 5 mins in, you got to get the fork and pop the bubbles. This dough is high gluten to begin with and the long knead really gets it tight.
  • KingSmono
    Options
    Looks delicious! Where do you find the dough in Publix??? I don't know if I've ever seen it, and I shop there multiple times per week. :blink:
  • Fidel
    Options
    It is usually in a little chest cooler in the bakery near the cakes. If you don't see it ask someone behind the bakery counter. They will likely have it.

In a pinch it works, but it really is rewarding and easy (not to mention a lot more cost effective) to make your own.

Another option is to go to your favorite pizzeria and ask them to sell you a dough. Most of them will for a couple/few bucks.
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    At the Publix here in Woodstock, Ga the dough is in the open fridge coolers in front of the bakery. They are moved around at a few different Publix' in the area, but more or less the same area. I think I usually pay 3.28 for a ball of it. Sometimes it is frozen, but usually it is thawed out or was never frozen in the first place. We make two 10" thin pies or one thicker 10-12" pie from it.
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Thanks! That actually makes total sense. If salt can kill yeast, I am sure chlorine has an impact as well. I will try it!
    I will try to have my recipes to you in the next couple days. Have been CRAZY BUSY at work! It is sheer will power and stupidity that I am still awake at this hour.
    Thanks again!
    LC
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    A fine cook.
    Ross
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Could you describe just how you handled the dough? I bought some from Publix and found it very difficult to work with. Did you let it come to room temp before kneading and/or letting it rise etc.? TIA!
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    Sure-- The package says to leave it in the bag at room temp for about an hour. I probably let it go longer than that, maybe 1.5 hours. Then I cleared off the countertop, sprinkled some flour and plopped the dough on it. Kneaded the dough out to a 12" pie or so. It worked out to size pretty easily, had some air bubbles in it. I resisted the temptation to toss the dough because I probably would have flung flour around. But if I ever do it will be outside--haha. And I will definitely try these dough recipes posted here one day.

To be honest I actually gave up on Publix dough once before so I tried this when it was just me and the dog. I think the first time I didn't give the dough enough time to warm up.

It's on a big round plate in the pic, not a regular size plate.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Thanks!! I think my problem was that the dough was still too cold when I tried to shape it. I'll have to give it another try!