Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork & Sauerkraut

GrillDaddy
GrillDaddy Posts: 295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone doing Pork & Sauerkraut for New Years Eve/New Years?

How do you cook your pork? What type of Pork?

Happy New Years All

Comments

• jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    We're doing pulled pork, which we will plate with sauerkraut and black-eyed pea salad. We normally do a pork roast and just heated BEP's and sauerkraut. I suggested pulled pork to the wife who was thrilled with the idea, and she found the BEP salad recipe.

We're doing the "Red-Eye Butt" from the Jamisons' Smoke and Spice. It's a great variation to a normal rubbed butt.
  • this may not be what you are looking for. I cook Sauercraut and pork ribs together in a Pressure Cooker with potatoes and a little water about 1-2 cups. Add salt and pepper and 1 tsp caraway seeds. Cook for 5 mins after pressure jiggles at 15 lbs. Cool and pull meat and if you like give it a quick sear on the GE with BBQ sauce or an apple glaze.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    I got this from Larry Wolfe on the Addicted to BBQ Forum. It is great!

4 thick cut bone in pork chops (approx. 2lbs) (I like to leave all the fat on the chops)
    2 Large Granny Smith Apples (cored and cut into a large dice)
    1 Large Onion (cut in a medium dice)(Vidalia is great)
    2 lbs good Sauerkraut (I like the kind in the bags)
    1 Teaspoon Caraway Seeds (optional)

Season pork chops with kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper

Sear on a hot grill (450-500) for about 2-3 minutes per side.

Sauté onion and apple in the oil and pan juices for 2-3 minutes

Add sauerkraut with the juice to the pan of apples and onions to deglaze and simmer until warmed through (add caraway seeds at this point if using them)

In a large backing dish (I use disposable aluminum) add a layer of the kraut, apple and onion mixture, then place the pork chops on top, then add the remaining kraut mixture overtop of the chops

Foil the dish and cook indirect at 325* for 45 minutes, then remove foil and increase temperature to 350* for 15 more minutes to reduce the pan juices

The combination of the sweetness from the apples and onions, the tartness from the sauerkraut and the juices/fat from the chops are fantastic!
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    My dad loves sauerkraut and spare ribs. I want to surprise him and make this. Do you use country ribs? I don't have a pressure cooker, what would be next best way to do this?
  • Happy for sharing everyone!
  • Thanks for sharing everyone!
  • Use spare ribs. Instead of a pressure cooker use a large pot with a good lid and braise in liquid for 1-2 hours. Check the ribs for doneness often as I'm guessing at the cook time. I would cook until just about to fall off the bone then I'd sear them with a sauce or a glaze. Reheat the kraut just prior to serving. I liked the idea of cut up apples on another post. When braising, liquid should be at a simmer and not a rolling boil.
  • I just had another thought--duh! Why not put them in a crock pot and cook say 3-4 hours and it will take all the guess work out of it. You will probably need a large crock pot to do it in.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC04466c.jpg

I pretty much go with ribs as the main meat, so the kraut is well flavored and add some sausage and onions toward the end, just because....
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery