Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL BGE came on 12/24/08

Options
GrillDaddy
GrillDaddy Posts: 295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi everyone,

Just got my 1st BGE, it is the XL model. Made Tex Mex Chicken Soup, low & slow for about 6 hours. Came out good. Used a crock pot w/o the lid on Plate Setter. Anyone do stew/soup using a Dutch oven and crock pot w/o the lid? Is and what are the advantages of the Dutch oven?
Thanks All

Comments

• JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    Options
    Congrats on the new egg and welcome to the cult. I do chilli and pot roast in a do often. Adds a great smoke flavor to both.
  • Santa was good; I'm picking out a BGE this week but can't decide between the Large (18") and extra Large (24")models. Is there any downside to getting the Xlarge? any insights would be appreciated.

Nikki
  • GrillDaddy
    Options
    Thanks, I agree that it does add a nice smoky flavor that you would not get when cooking the standard crock pot way. Shared with me co-workers the next day at work and they all really enjoyed it.
  • GrillDaddy
    Options
    You may also want to call multiple dealers. Ask them if they offer any packages. The packages can include some eggcessories; the price of the package could be lower then if you bought each item separate. Good Luck
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    My first egg was the XL. Actually the first one I bought was an XL. There is really no downside to owning an XL. It does use more lump than a LGE but no where near as much as an offset or bullet smoker.

My main reason for getting the XL was the grill space. It's great for cooking a lot of burgers or chicken all on the same level. You can cook the same amount of food on a LGE but you must get creative with the grid arrangement.
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    Nikki: I went into my dealer having made up my mind to get the XL. However, they talked me into the Large even though XL is more expensive and they had one in stock and had just sold their last Large - very honest people at ChimChimneys in League City, TX.

You can't really go wrong but I am glad I got the Large. The only disadvantages to the XL as mentioned are using more lump and size/weight if you plan on moving it around much which I don't. What I have since done is bought a Medium also. With two Eggs you get approximately the same grill space as the XL and for only slightly more money. I really like the Medium as it gets up to temp very quick and is stingy on lump. Having two Eggs gives you more versatility to cook different dishes at the same time with different temps. So, my recommendation is go with the Large and down the road you can get a second Egg if that isn't enough grill for you.

Whichever route you go you will be happy.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    MommaO,
    For the money you can just about get a large and a small instead of the XL. I have a large and a Medium and love the flexibility that having 2 eggs gives me.
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    Dang it :laugh: ...you was just a minute quicker Freddie :laugh:
  • GrillDaddy
    Options
    All points are great, 2 BGEs is an option over XL BGE

Answer these questions and hopefully it will lead you to your answer.

How many people do I usually cook for? Look at the website as it tells you how much food you can get on each grill.
    Do I like leftovers?
    How many times a week will I use the BGE?
    What is my budget?
    What Type of cooking - indirect vs direct?
    Is the any eggcessories is really want? Do they have that eggcessories in the size BGE I am going to purchase?
    Ask your dealer. Most Dealers if not all will help you pick the right size for you.
    Once you get one you will love using it not matter what size you get.

Good luck!

GrillDaddy
    MD