Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

turkey bring questions

Options
ovo
ovo Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm wondering whether I've used enough salt in this brine. I've got a 12 lb bird in 3-1/2 gallons of brine, which I made with 1 cup of kosher salt and about 3/4 gal. vegetable stock (and some herbs). The original recipe called for just 2 gal. of water, but I had to add more to cover. By the time I put it on the egg, the bird will have been in the brine for about 40 hours. Any suggestions as to whether I need to add more salt? Thanks, Lewis

Comments

• civil eggineer
    Options
    I think you will be fine given the amount of time it has been brining. Normally I believe the ratio is 1 cup of salt to 1 gallon of water for a 24 hour brine. I wouldn't worry about it and believe it will come out nice and juicy. Although it probably would even without the brine since it is cooking in the egg goodness!
  • PA Dutch Egger
    Options
    I think you will be fine.
    I usually brine 2 hours for every pound of meat. For a brined turkey when cooking figure 12 minutes a pound at 325 degrees rather than the standard 15 min. a pound