Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Cook, Table Setup, First Pic Post

Options
Buckwoody Egger
Buckwoody Egger Posts: 674
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all, here's my first picture post and a big "thank you" to all the regular posters on here. I am just getting started with the egg after picking up my large at Eggtoberfest 2008. Figured I would share a little about my table and my non-flattering pizza cook. But most importantly say thanks to everyone on here whose posts and insight give so many new folks a really fun start with the Egg.

The table is made of cypress 1x4's from Norcross Lumber. At less than $0.50/ft (3 sides smooth), adding stainless screws and Spar varnish the total cost was still under $150. My friend and his father-in-law and I followed Naked Whiz plans pretty closely--they were great. The galvanized box is from IKEA and is a perfect fit on the lower shelf. The box holds the rib rack, pizza stone, and all accessories except platesetter. The platesetter hangs underneath the LBGE on some galvanized wire and stainless hooks (it's in use in this pic so two off the wires are hanging). The lantern is on a shepherds hook and hits the grill perfectly at night. The propane-powered tarp rack sits dutifully to the left.

The pizza is using Trader Joe's dough, ham, asparagus and olives. I have not mastered the crust yet but it is delicious to try and already rivals restaurant pizza. I look forward to trying Publix dough and someday homemade.

So, thanks again and enjoy the pics. If I mess up the pic links I will edit.

Table setup:
IMG_0154.jpg

Pizza Before:
IMG_0155.jpg

Pizza Cooking:
IMG_0156.jpg

Comments

• reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    That looks great. Good job with the pics! I didn't know TJ's sold pizza dough. Will have to get some next time I'm there. What are did you find it in?
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    Thanks!! It's refrigerated near the cheese at the one in Atlanta. They have a variety as well.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    The pizza looks great and the table lookes even better. Great job on both AND I see it has the mandatory bottle opener ready for duty!! B)
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Good job, enjoy your new toys.

Merry Christmas
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Lookin good man,keep up the good work(and pics) :woohoo: Nice job on the table too ;)
  • Drunk at the EGG
    Options
    Thanks to all the input I received on this form regarding pizza, I have almost perfected it.

Whoever suggested the $10 air vented pizza pans from Target should get a Brownie Badge. They work great. Buy two so you can rotate them right away. A shot of Pam on the top and you are ready to go - no flour or cornstarch required.

I go to my local grocery store and have them make me the dough balls at half size (as I wanted to try personal pan pizzas - don't try that at home). This still had the pies way too big. So I rolled them out thin and they almost fill a 15" pizza pan without having to **** around with the crust edge. The pizza cooks perfect because of the thin crust size. They also charge me $0.99 instead of the $1.99 because they are half the size of their regular dough balls. I buy 30 at a time and throw them in the freezer as they are all individually wrapped. They last about 75 days in the freezer.

I cook them plate setter feet up, then CI Grate, then 4 fire bricks on the flat sides with a space in the middle open so the middle of the pie can cook, all between 400 and 500 (450 seems to be the best at about 13 minutes per pie).

I would post some pics but I would need a third hand for the camera. Pizza in one and beer in the other. I am cooking some pizza Christmas Eve so I will get some pics up then.

I will include one of the personal pan disasters though. It was Comedy. And yes, that is Pineapple on the right pie.

Drunk

PizzaFiasco2-1.jpg