Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blasted Chicken

Options
WJS
WJS Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was wondering if anybody had tried this or something similar. I heard the recipe on a radio cooking show. Sounded simple and good, so I thought I try it (modified for Mr. Egg, of course). Whole chicken into a preheated oven at 450* for 45 min, then pull and let stand for 15 min.
Somebody said put it onto seasoned veggies in a roasting pan.
Figured I'd just substitute the egg for the oven.
Any Comments/input?

Comments

• WJS,[p]In the oven the seasoned veggies as a base for the roast is used to keep the meat off the bottom of the pan while adding flavor. Rather than putting the chicken or roast on a v rack or similar, you can put it on a bed of hard veggies that will keep the bottom off the pan, and out of drippings. Kind of the oven version of the indirect cook with catch pan. Sounds like a hot indirect egg cook to me...
    Good Luck, let us know how it goes.[p]ChuckE[p]

• WJS,[p]In the oven the seasoned veggies as a base for the roast is used to keep the meat off the bottom of the pan while adding flavor. Rather than putting the chicken or roast on a v rack or similar, you can put it on a bed of hard veggies that will keep the bottom off the pan, and out of drippings. Kind of the oven version of the indirect cook with catch pan. Sounds like a hot indirect egg cook to me...
    Good Luck, let us know how it goes.[p]ChuckE[p]

• WJS
    WJS Posts: 54
    Options
    ChuckE,
    That's what I thought. I'm gonna use cast iron for kicks, and see what happens. Carrots, red potatos, and onions under the chicken. Trying to think of what else to put in.

• Mike in MN
    Options
    WJS,
    I add garlic and sometimes squash/sweet potatoes to the roaster. Any vegetable will do. Be sure to put some water in the bottom of the pan (or wine, or beer)or a combo. All the veggies should be seasoned...add herbs and a couple of bay leaves. Leave the cover on. Like the egg, I don't look in there too often...only towards the end to check on it's progress.[p]The high temp is the way I do mine. I go 450 for about 20-30 minutes, and then I turn the temp down to about 250, and let it go until it's done. [p]Mike in MN

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Sounds like a variation on a turkey cooking method that was sort of a fad a few years back. That method called for putting the turkey in the oven the night before eating at 500° for 1-2 hours and then turning the oven off and letting the turkey "dwell" until dinner time the next day. I did this a couple times and it worked beautifully. Let us know how it turns out.[p]Jim
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    WJS,
    Alton Brown did a similar cook on one of his shows. He spatchcocked a chicken (Although he didn't realize it. He thought he butterflied it. :-) ) He put it in a roasting pan on a bed of carrots, celery and onions. He then put it under the broiler for a very short period of time (you'll have to find the show, I don't remember the times, but not very long), flipped the bird, then returned it to the broiler. After the bird was done, he then made a sauce from the drippings by adding water and wine (?) to the pan, using the veggies to scrape loose the crusty bits and then he removed the veggies and reduced the sauce. If you are interested, I think I have the show recorded so I can retrieve more detail. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz