Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

question on double smoked ham

Options
DTM
DTM Posts: 127
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did one of (feel bad can't remember the poster)'s double smoked picnics when we had a bunch of company 2 weeks ago. It was great. I did the biggest picnic the store had which made a meal for all and was totally consumed in sandwiches by Saturday.
Question:
Has anyone done this on one of the cheap-ass, water added, smashed back together, boneless store hams? I'm thinking of getting a couple, cut in half, face down in a disposable and injecting away.
I only do butts for those: I don't really cater.... Come on it's my brother's wedding reception.... Really it's only a hobby.... Hey I know you did Q for Morty's daughter's sister's graduation.
I think these hams would work will well for those and I wouldn't get skinned too bad like I do with ribs when I volume cook and besides the d/s ham is good.
Dan

Comments

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    DTM,[p]I believe Dr. Chicken is the contributor of this wonderful method.[p]I did a "not" so cheap ham over the holidays and it was great. I believe he mentioned in his instructions that a cheap ham would not produce desired results.[p]If you decide to go this route, be sure to let us know ho it came out.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    DTM, the name you can't seem to remember for this recipe/process is Dave Spence, aka Dr Chicken. His instructions are quite clear that you don't have to buy the top of the line ham for this - you'll even fool people with your final result into thinking you went all out!
    I've had great success and accolades just using half hams on sale at Kroger. The secret is in the glaze and the injections and the cooking AND NOT TELLING you didn't hock the farm to buy it!
    Go for it!!! You'll love it!!!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    RRP,[p]Guess I better go back and re-read that cheap part again :~)[p]

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    DTM,
    If you are talking about he boneless 5lbs. that they sell for $5 around the holidays, I have had great luck with them. I cut crisscross about 1-2 inch square on the top of the ham not to deep. Add Lawry's, brown sugar, and smoke with applewood for about 2 hours.
    Slice thin and serve with favorite BBQ sauce.
    For a large party (20-30) this is a good start.[p]CWM

• RRP
    Options
    Bob,
    Trust me on this one! Of course Dave didn't mean any old ham on sale at the local "convenience/fill'em store"!

• RRP,
    Dave did a spiral cut ham and got it to stay moist, the boy is on to something.
    Jim[p]

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    DTM,
    I specifically asked Dr. Chicken about using those cheap, all the same size and shape boneless hams. He suggested to stay away from those. [p]~nikki

• RRP
    Options
    DTM,
    Here is an excerpt from an email to me from Dr Chicken posted with permission. I was going to say and I quote but instead I'll say and Dr Chicken clucked this:[p]"Those pressed hams, boneless with water added do not make a very good presentation for the Double Smoked Ham recipe. I've tried a couple of"higher priced" boneless hams and they do ok. But the cheaper ones do not do very well. They mostly seem too salty and do not have a good flavor to begin with. Even adding the "Sweet Kiss of Death" injectable
    marinade doesn't seem to help things too well.[p]The cheap hams I''m referring to, are the cheap "bone in" hams. A lot of them out there in the market. I guess too, I'm a nut about things. When I want ham, I almost always buy a ham with the bone in it still. I think that accounts for the better flavor from the git-go!"