Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PRE-COOKED HAM

Options
61chev
61chev Posts: 539
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a 6# cure 81 ham that is pre-cooked. I would like to smoke it and am thinking about putting it in about 250 with some hickory chunks for a couple of hours or until 150* internal for some hickory flavor. Anybody have any ideas on this? Thanks.
Gerry

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Follow the label directions on the ham, but just do it in the Egg instead of the oven. I think most say 350 degrees to an internal of 140. I do it just as you've said, except at 325 - 350 instead of 250. Be careful with the hickory...it is easy to over-smoke a pre-cooked ham. Use just a few small chunks.

I'm not one for sugary glazes, we usually take ours plain. There are several good glaze recipes on the forum if you want to glaze. Search "ham".

Next one I do, I am going to try a thin glaze made from a shot of espresso, sorghum molasses and bourbon.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Hey Gerry,
    I'm doing the same thing almost. :blush: I'm going to score mine on top diamond shape cuts about 1/4 inch deep, cover with a little Raging River. Smoke with a little apple or sugar maple wood. After pulling, slice and top with Mr. Toads Praline Topping.

Mike
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    150° internal seems to dry out the ham for me.

I pull at 140° and try to inject 8oz of Grade B Maple syrup.

Egret has a recipe below which works out well. I modify it a bit for our taste.

Alton Brown's is also a good cook.

GG
  • 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    Thanks guys
    i will probanly do it this weekend I will try to get some pics
    Gerry