Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mr Toads Loin variation

Options
Banker John
Banker John Posts: 583
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I just lit the egg and getting ready for my first Mr Toads Pork Loin. It won't be long and the guests will be arriving to watch the egg 'do its magic!'[p]I'm sitting outside by the grill while it warms up. Earlier, I took a 2.5# center cut pork loin (thanks Marvin) and using a filet knife, cut a pocket and then several pockets from the opening. I didn't have time to brine though. I stuffed the meat with 8oz of orange marmalade, fresh blackberries, dried apples and whole cashews - a variation of the recipe because I really do not like figs! I then wrapped the loin in Boars Head smoked bacon. I'll cook it at 300* until the internal temperature reaches 141* then let it rest for 15 minutes.[p]I sure do hope it turns out good. I've never tried this before! Any idea how long it will take to cook? I'g guessing about 2 hours. I'm trying for a 6:00pm dinner and am thinking to put it on at 4.[p]Banker John

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Banker John,
    I don't like figs either, but I didn't really taste figs when I made it. One of these days I'm going to try cherries and juniper berries. So many dishes, so little time. Except for Joel F. I am a computer science major and work for a major computer company, so I decided to apply my skills and write an application to model Joel. I predict that in 17 months from now, he will have made every combination of food possible. :-)[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Banker John
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Hey TNW, I'm still laughing. Based on your model, and assuming a moderate 30 minute per day cardiovascular excercise burning 1100 calories, how big will Joel be? By the looks of some of his great posts, I'm guessing he may top me. Of course, he did have TWO valentines dates. THis may account for exceptional caloric consumption! LOL[p]I'm thinking of asking Joel if he wants me to open a restaurant and Have Joel be the Lead Chef. I'm thinking of "Ferman's Grill". Commercials would be done by the same company that does the Coors Beer house party commercials. Perfect for the 18-35 crowd.[p]Joel, if you are reading this - any thoughts?[p]Banker John

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Banker John,
    How do you like the Boars Head bacon? I really like their products.[p]CWM

• Banker John
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    I don't know if I will like it or not. 1) I've never made the stuffed pork loin or 2)Never cooked with Boars Head bacon. I have no point of reference to compare it to. [p]The meat has been on now 10 minutes so I won't be able to tell you how I like it until later. Internal at 61 and temp at 289*. The birthday boy (father in law) just arrived. I'm not letting him raise the lid. It will just have to be a suprise.

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    Boars Head bacon is much better then the stuff that is prepackaged. More meat, thicker and much more flavor. Worth the extra pennies, IMO

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Banker John,
    Looks like you've got it all together and your timing should be right on. Like TNW, I've also done this with dried cherries and ginger marmalade: outstanding! Enjoy.

• Banker John
    Options
    The meal turned out abolutely fantastic. The birthday boy was impressed. He has that full belly smiling glazed look, kind of like a 4 month old baby right after breast feeding![p]Had great raves from the mother in law. In fact, there has been a request for the same meal for her birthday dinner.[p]The Boars Head bacon was outstanding! The apple & hickory wood left a nice smoke ring and flavorful bacon. The blackberries left a great color, dried apples rehydrated from the orange marmalade and the cashews softened just a bit.[p]The birthday boy has a digital camera and took pictures. It may be a few days until he can e-mail them to me to post.[p]Thanks to all for the help.[p]Banker John
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Wardster,
    I heard about it a year ago. Tried some of the lunch meats and was very impressed. Never tired bacon, but will now.
    Thanks,[p]CWM