Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grits!

Charleston Dave
Charleston Dave Posts: 571
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For those interested in heirloom foods, this is an excellent article on the supplier of stone-ground grits to a lot of top restaurants in the South:

Anson Mills

All I can say is, bless this guy!

Comments

• BLESS YOU for posting that. We love stone ground grits and I am always looking for healthy foods for my husband, who actually needs to eat MORE. Thank you thank you. Off to order. Website to order, btw:

http://www.ansonmills.com/products-page.htm
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    That looks like a place I'd like to visit when we head south again.

Here's the real Yankee version of what we do with ground corn meal. Very interesting history and the chief thing the early founders made was johnny cakes.(there's been years of discussions about how to spell jonny, journey, jony cake as well as an age old battle over which is the better jonny cake, the thick or the thin ones.

http://www.kenyonsgristmill.com/home.html

This is predominately a Rhode Island southeastern Connecticut food and outside of that area where the old Swamp Yankees live you won't find mention of jonny cakes.
  • The funny thing is, his mill is located right in the middle of the restaurant/bar district in Columbia. Gervais St is next to the state capitol and runs down to the Univ. of South Carolina.
  • Charleston Dave,

That's not showing your true Southern hospitality by baiting us Yankees with the source of wonderful stone ground grits without sharing some of your favorite grit recipes! I love grits and would greatly appreciate your sharing any recipes.

eenie meenie